Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an indoor G scale layout that I want to DCC equip. I need to be able to operate the railway from a number of locations & I do not want trailing wires. Whilst G Scale can use up to 20v it currently runs at perfectly adequate speed/power from an old H&M Clipper which has "controlled output 12v DC" and which at full power & with my largest loco running at full speed gives an actual track voltage of 14.5v. The largest loco draws 1.25 amp, at startup with a heavy load, if I bang the throttle open & 0.75 amps when steady running at full speed - which I never normally use. The power of the Clipper at 1.5amps appears adequate.

The most economical transmitter type DCC system appears to be the Dynamis. I have a number of questions about it which hopefully someone can answer.

1. What is the actual measured track voltage of a Dynamis system when under load?

2. What is the voltage loss through a DCC loco decoder?

3. I note that I can't read the decoder with the Dynamis. Why does this matter? How do I get round it?

4. What is the user experience of the Dynamis system now that it has been around for a while?

5. Is there a better alternative without spending a lot more money given that I want wireless remote control.

Thank you.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (john woodall @ 20 Oct 2008, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will standard HO Locomotive chip be ok running LGB stock?

John

I doubt it. The loco that I referred to above is a two driven bogie/ motor diesel and has a stall current of 2.5 amps plus. That leads me to think that even with one motor it would be very marginal with a 00 designed chip. My single motor locos run at nearly the same current. I await being told that I am wrong but I think most OO loco decoders are unhappy at anything above 1 amp.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard Johnson & Upnick.

I don't think that the 20 degrees is an issue as I would never be out of sight of the base station & I could place it so that pointing the hadset at it was unlikely to be a problem.

I have always liked the NCE system but as I understand it the wireless link is an illegal frequency in the UK & if it is this set the $662 - which by the time I have paid carriage & VAT etc is likely to be £500+ is a slight problem!

http://www.staubintrains.com/trainshop/shopexd.asp?id=2355

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 20 Oct 2008, 14:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***
For 2 motor drives 2 standard chips are fine, one pwer motor. Some adjustment of back emf to have it turn off after initial slow speed starts - say at about speed step 8, would stop any back EMF interaction at running speeds but preserve speed step one slow running quality.

Richard

Sorry to be so thick but but the sentence "some adjustment to back emf to have it turn off......." doesn't mean much to me.

Is this easily adjustable?

Everbody keeps telling me the NCE powercab is the best of ther base sets - has it enough power for these locos or am I just going to burn it out?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.