Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bachmann have stated that the dynamis will be out spring 07. however i have seen an advert in the first hornby magazine, that it is due aug/sept 07. the second edition same advert there is no mention of it. a bit strange i think. a thread in the dcc section of rmweb forum some person that was at ally pally said that it was due late april/ late may when he enquired release dates, so really anybody's guess. really. if this is the case then bachmann needs to get their fingers out of their mouths and let costomers know whats happening.

john

·
Registered
201 Posts
I emailed Bachmann about the Dynamis a couple of days ago. I have recieved this email today. Not looking promising. At least they are doing some tests.

QUOTE Thank you for your enquiry. Dynamis is going through some testing before production. We expect full retail availability in September

Regards

Richard Matthews
Bachmann Europe plc

Alistair

·
Registered
697 Posts
As this is a very important worldwide product for Bachmann, I'd expect them to want to get it right.
There was a delay with the screen apparently, as the production version hasn't been seen yet.
I'm sure they'll not want to discuss in public any issues or problems they are having.

In Europe, the Dynamis will go head to head with the Hornby groups products as well as the Roco MultiMaus and other systems. In the US and Canada it will be challenging for the healthy budget market with a fresh approach compared to products available from Digitrax, NCE, MRC etc.
They must get it right.

With the Hornby Elite out in the shops, there's also an opportunity to ensure that Dynamis doesn't "lose out" in any department.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I asked Bachmann about availability when I was at the Peco DCC event in Beer yesterday. I was told September. They are doing extended testing to ensure every thing is OK. ESU are being very cautious. The guy said if he'd had them at the event he could have sold out. I would have bought one. It does look like a nice piece of kit.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Bachmann do seem to be learning from Hornby's mistakes. Also ESU have such a good reputation they can't afford to have it tarnished by a dodgy product as this could have a knock on effect on their fully spec'ed systems.

I'd rather wait and get a properly tested product than buy another rush job which was knoocked out to a deadline without proper testing. I think the Dynamis will sell by the bucket load if it is what we are expecting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all,

to me it seams strange to me that bachmann is saying that is still testing, when they knew that from about feburary this year 07. that the dynamis would not appear until september. when a publication is going into print all the info must be in a month before hand. and, yet bachmann was still saying it's a spring release. to me that's like saying don't buy any other products But ours. i was near tempted to buy the dynamis. but in light of things i will hold off and get the ecos. don't get me wrong i dare say that the dynamis will be a good product. i have also heard that it is like a toy, from what was seen at ally pally.

john g

p.s. if bachmann had of been up-front with the release date i might have went for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well Bachmann and ESU both make good products in there own right and at least they aren't releasing a half finished product like some model manufacturing company's have done which is good.
I know that it will be well worth waiting for at least it dose'nt look like it's been made up from left over Lego bricks.

Pete

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
peter, i'm not running down bachmann's quaility. just their way of trying to get people to buy their products. they would have known that the system would not be release by the spring 07. about january 07. iwhen the cat was released in a march publication. and yet they still said that it was on time for spring release, that's to get you to wait. ( how long do you want to wait ), peter i have the class 20 w/sound. i'm also concidering the the class 66 shanks/frieghtliner w/sound. as i said it's not the quality of the products. it's their marketing ploy, say i was going for the hornby elite. then like of bachmann saying new product release. say comming out xmas. all the "blurb" you wait, you wait, and so on. then you hear on the grapevine it's not comming out at xmas at all. BUT at the same time the company knew that it was not comming out on the set time. but a much later time. hornby is the same.. what these company's need to do is let customers know via their web site's. the bachmann dynamis site still says "items awaiting delivery" on the product page loco's/wagons ectera with month date's as to when they are comming out. but not the dynamis.

john

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (john g @ 12 Jun 2007, 01:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have also heard that it is like a toy, from what was seen at ally pally.
Well I'm not sure that's the case at all.
It does look different from any other DCC controller, more like a handheld games console.
The shape is no doubt determined by employing a large format LCD screen.
The only examples seen in public so far are pre-production models and not the finished article.

The Hornby Elite looks like a Fisher Price toy in comparison; the Select looks like...errr...a train-set controller (which it is of course!). The Hornby styling is sort of "industrial toy", robust, durable and tactile. Ooo err missus!
Some of the European consoles look very 1970's retro plasticky in comparison.

Most of the US systems look like a control pad for a factory hoist/crane. Very dated styling but functional.

Maybe the reviews of DCC systems should be along the lines of fashion articles?
"This years models will be mostly be wearing Pink with purple trimmings......."

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 12 Jun 2007, 17:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe the reviews of DCC systems should be along the lines of fashion articles?
"This years models will be mostly be wearing Pink with purple trimmings......."

No I really don't want to think about it......................................"The Dymamis will be avilable with Gold Lycra leggings with a tattoo of it's name coyly peeping out".........................

Time for the asylum me thinks.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE It does look different from any other DCC controller, more like a handheld games console.
The shape is no doubt determined by employing a large format LCD screen.
The only examples seen in public so far are pre-production models and not the finished article.

The unit I saw last Saturday looked like a finished product to me. It certainly didn't appear to be the kind of thing you would be embarassed by. It's a lot "finer" in features than a games console probably because you aren't supposed to be operating it under high adrenaline levels - ie operating a model railway is supposed to be a more sedate affair than running around with a very big weapon blasting things.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE It's a lot "finer" in features than a games console probably because you aren't supposed to be operating it under high adrenaline levels - ie operating a model railway is supposed to be a more sedate affair than running around with a very big weapon blasting things.

David, could you have unwittingly predicted the future of model rail?

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 12 Jun 2007, 17:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The unit I saw last Saturday looked like a finished product to me. It certainly didn't appear to be the kind of thing you would be embarassed by. David
You've obviously had the latest look at it, but did they confirm it was in production guise?

The one I saw 2 and a half months ago looked the finished article apart from the IR components being visible at the top (apparently they will be hidden behind a smoked perspex cover).
The Bachmann chap said the colour would be slightly different, printing different and a better screen with improved contrast would be fitted to the final version.

Let's hope it's not too far away!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE You've obviously had the latest look at it, but did they confirm it was in production guise?
No, but based on the lead time for plastic mouldings and this looks like it has been injection moulded to me, and also that Bachmann did seem to be geared up for a late Spring launch, I would think that this was a production case.

The icons that pop up for changing points look nice and clear too.

David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
update, dynamis web site. just seen that bachmann has up'd the price from £90 to £100. £10 jump, any bets that it'll jump again £10-£15 before it's released in september.

john

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I've been having a good look at the most recent pictures of the Dynamis and there are quite a few features which are in common with the ECoS. The toggle switch for manoeuvring round menus is similar. The ikons on the screen are the same too. It won't surprise me if all the locos in the database are German as this is a common complaint that is touted about the ECoS by non-German users. The one I looked at had Class 66 on the screen but the loco picture was a DB215.

I notice the Dynamis has an extra optional output for a plug and power clip as well as the green screw in power sockets which you get with the ECoS. I assume this is for the train set guys who may not be familiar with wiring a layout.

I notice at the bottom of their list of Q&A's they have “why should I buy a system which is NRMA conformant?” Wonder why they stuck that in?

They have German version of the website too as this has a realistic chance of selling well there.

I reckon at 100 quid the regular model would be a good remote control for the ECoS. The ESU remote is close to 200 euros so this is quite a bit cheaper and can be used as a stand alone system.

·
Registered
697 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 24 Jul 2007, 04:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I reckon at 100 quid the regular model would be a good remote control for the ECoS. The ESU remote is close to 200 euros so this is quite a bit cheaper and can be used as a stand alone system.
The Dynamis system should sell for around the £90 mark or less.
The Dynamis Pro for an extra £50+.
You can buy the Pro Box seperately to upgrade Dynamis to Dynamis Pro as it's a modular system.

Dynamis handsets will be available seperately for around £45+

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Oakydoke @ 24 Jul 2007, 21:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Dynamis system should sell for around the £90 mark or less.
The Dynamis Pro for an extra £50+.
You can buy the Pro Box seperately to upgrade Dynamis to Dynamis Pro as it's a modular system.

Dynamis handsets will be available seperately for around £45+

Quite reasonable really, isn't it? They only have the price for the regular system on the website at the moment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts