Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I made a number of trips through Eastleigh on my way to the Isle of Wight via Lymington in the late 1950s and early 1960s for holidays. My Ian Allan combined volume for Winter 1961/2 tells me I had seen 30133 by then. A pity I did not get a camera until around 1961 - thank goodness for those who did.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Dear Gary,
The 'extra plumbing' is the Westinghouse air pump for the brakes. These were preferred by some railways for suburban use because their characteristics were suited to the quick stop/start nature of these services. The upper cylinder is the steam cylinder, the lower the air pumping cylinder. (Detailed description can be found in the "Handbook for railway steam locomotive enginemen" published by BR in 1957 and reprinted by Ian Allan in 1998.)
The splashers - 'wheel arches' - did differ. The same Combined volume mentioned in my post above has a photo of an M7 which has a completely different looking front splasher. The same source explains there were three batches, one of 1897, another of 1903 which were adaptions of an X14 design, and a third lot from 1925 which were fitted for 'push-pull' operations. 30133 pictured at Eastleigh is one of this last batch.
Regards,
John Webb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.