Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sellers will no longer be able to leave negs, some items are paypal only, reduced worldwide visibility amongst other things.
Can't say I've noticed fewer listings.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 19 Feb 2008, 19:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sellers will no longer be able to leave negs, some items are paypal only, reduced worldwide visibility amongst other things.
Typical signs of a monopoly developing here, after all they own paypal, and reducing worldwide visibility will benefit them or the buyers or the seller how? What we need is some more competition, and presumably people will stop using ebay if there is no money to be made from it and set up alternative auction sites etc. Although some already exist they're very small in comparison and look rather 'flimsy' in the trustworthyness department to me; not that ebay isn't turning into another big fat ugly microsoft! (and who trusts microsoft apart from the insane?!)

Google to the rescue? (Oh, hang on, the google giant squid already has so many fingers in so many pies that if they got involved it could only make it worse...) So no. Hmm, looks like people will just put up with it...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The reduced visibility is bacause some US sellers complained that their items were being swamped by UK ones.

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 19 Feb 2008, 19:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sellers will no longer be able to leave negs, some items are paypal only, reduced worldwide visibility amongst other things.

So that means when somebody bids and then won't pay or takes weeks to pay you can't mark them down , sorry but thats not fair .What is the point of having a feedback system if you can't put in the truth ?
As for paypal only i can understand that on items over say £30 but under that you must remember there service charge , Who wins in the end ? are yes its eBay !

·
Registered
64 Posts
QUOTE (Charley Farley Trelawney @ 20 Feb 2008, 18:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I clicked on 'OO gauge' today and not that there has been only two new listings over two days?

Eh? Just put OO gauge into ebay and got 3 and half pages of new listing for today and 6 pages for yesterday.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have had several dealings with Ebay and their system is flawed. I sent back an item because it didn't work and was never refunded or received a replacement, after dealing with Ebay and Pay Pal for 3 months to get a refund I gave up. I still use Ebay but infrequently. I also think that Pay Pal is owned by Nat West (RBOS now). I may be wrong.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Quite right, it is owned by Ebay now. I stand corrected . I do not withdraw my comments that the system is flawed and many of the companies dealing would be better using a credit card system where the buyer would have some protection. The system needs to be loooked into by the FSA and evidence taken as to their wrong doings. The feedback system is only window dressing and the avenues for recourse are limitted. What can you expect from a system set up using the American business model for financial services?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Did you follow the dispute process? i.e. Open a dispute with Ebay/Paypal, wait until Paypal tell you to return the item. Send by online trackable means?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes I did follow all procedures and also got a certificate of postage for the item I returned, it took so long toget in touch with the supplier that the dispute procedure was closed by Ebay/Pay Pal and could not be reopened.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A certificate of posting will not be accepted by Paypal. You have to use an online trackable service such as recorded delivery or special delivery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts