Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Well the wait is over and the govenment has awarded the franchise to National Express.
They are due to take over the running of the ECML in December, no doubt they'll be looking at painting the fleet in a new and destinctive livery, I for one will miss the GNER colour scheme, the last "classic" livery of the current British passenger TOCs.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 15 Aug 2007, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well the wait is over and the govenment has awarded the franchise to National Express.
They are due to take over the running of the ECML in December, no doubt they'll be looking at painting the fleet in a new and destinctive livery, I for one will miss the GNER colour scheme, the last "classic" livery of the current British passenger TOCs.
Yes I will miss it. This was one of my favourites. I hope it doesn't get replaced with something ugly and garish.

·
Registered
436 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 15 Aug 2007, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I for one will miss the GNER colour scheme, the last "classic" livery of the current British passenger TOCs.

Yes some of them are not to all tastes!
Hornby will be happy to put a different livery on the 91.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 14 Aug 2007, 23:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes I will miss it. This was one of my favourites. I hope it doesn't get replaced with something ugly and garish.

I'll second that - I also like the Eurostars in the GNER livery too.

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
But it is a distinctive livery, and far and away the best of what runs on UK rails. Perhaps National Express have someone with good taste n their marketing department, with an eye on the balance sheet, and the wit to realise that 'Great National Express Railway' branding would be a very economical choice. Dream on...

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (34C @ 15 Aug 2007, 10:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>and the wit to realise that 'Great National Express Railway' branding would be a very economical choice. Dream on...
If the SNP get their way it would have to be GIER (Great International Express Railway)

·
Registered
982 Posts
QUOTE If the SNP get their way it would have to be GIER (Great International Express Railway)

No- it would be something quite unpronouncable in Gaelic!!!!! (we all speak it here in Scotland.....NOT )Trains would also be diverted away from Central Lowlands of Scotland to their heartlands of Elgin or Moray or something with a Mc in it!

Russell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 16 Aug 2007, 06:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No- it would be something quite unpronouncable in Gaelic!!!!! (we all speak it here in Scotland.....NOT )Trains would also be diverted away from Central Lowlands of Scotland to their heartlands of Elgin or Moray or something with a Mc in it!

Russell

Probably,

Rathad Iarann Albanach Mor

It wouldn't be North eastern as that implies that Scotland is part of Britain. So Great Scottish Railway would probably be the name they would use.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Great North of Scotland Railway perhaps?

Regards

·
Registered
882 Posts
Nat Ex are branding the new franchise as "Your East Coast"
I'm not sure what the SNP (sorry, cough Scottish Parliament) would require it be called but probably "Our (Scottish) East Coast" and a requirement the livery contain blue and white, quite lucky for Nat Ex in that regard then!

I recently showed a photograph of the Caledonian Sleeper (FSR livery) and GNER to someone and they remarked how close and confusing the liveries could be, and equally the FSR fleet livery is also quite similar to GNER
Ironically, Nat Ex could now use the former ScotRail livery on the East Coast!

·
Registered
342 Posts
It will be a shame to lose the simple but classic GNER livery the current fashion for ever more complicated and outlandish liveries by the toc's will not endear them to regular customers who must find such exotic liveries a bit offputting it's a bit like cars I like the conservative majority of the population of this country would never buy or travel in a car painted bright pink or yellow or purple so why do toc's think that their customers want trains in rainbow colours ?

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (bangerblueed @ 18 Aug 2007, 07:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It will be a shame to lose the simple but classic GNER livery the current fashion for ever more complicated and outlandish liveries by the toc's will not endear them to regular customers who must find such exotic liveries a bit offputting it's a bit like cars I like the conservative majority of the population of this country would never buy or travel in a car painted bright pink or yellow or purple so why do toc's think that their customers want trains in rainbow colours ?
I think it's getting a bit like football strips where they change them every season. A modern image modeller will fork out a fortune trying to keep up with the new liveries.

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 18 Aug 2007, 04:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think it's getting a bit like football strips where they change them every season. A modern image modeller will fork out a fortune trying to keep up with the new liveries.
No change on the sequence of livery updates, in most cases there are fewer now

In the 1980s InterCity livery was introduced and updated seven times
Provincial livery was updated five times
Network SouthEast was updated four times
Railfreight was updated once then replaced by freight sector (triple grey) with some locos changing between sectors!

Passenger service liveries have always been subject to more updates
Take ScotRail as an example and there have only been four livery updates since NatEx held the franchise

·
Registered
982 Posts
Very good point about conservative choice of colours in purchasing cars- so why would we want to travel in public transport in Garish colours. Silver, Metallic Blue, Red , Black aren't these the staple colours for cars?

Nat Ex had previously suggested that they were looking at one national brand to give Nat Ex operations some coherence. They could do worse than retain GNERs blue but perhaps with a new stylish Nat Ex logo on it.

Here's hoping for some common sense . However in the past they have given us Trebor Refresher "One" and the original hideous green/purple/orange Scotrail whoosh.........not looking encouraging!

Russell

·
Registered
882 Posts
QUOTE (rb277170 @ 18 Aug 2007, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very good point about conservative choice of colours in purchasing cars- so why would we want to travel in public transport in Garish colours. Silver, Metallic Blue, Red , Black aren't these the staple colours for cars?
There is a lot more surface area on the side of a train though, compared to a car
Compare the surface area on a coach or HGV
It is basically free advertising space, and if painted in just one colour most people won't notice it!
Most liveries now are based on a limited pallet of two or three colours
These colours are also chosen to take into account their visible impact and their resistance to weathering (although for some companies this is not an issue!)

QUOTE (rb277170 @ 18 Aug 2007, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's hoping for some common sense . However in the past they have given us Trebor Refresher "One" and the original hideous green/purple/orange Scotrail whoosh.........not looking encouraging!
I do agree the ONE livery is dreadful, but the former ScotRail swoosh livery was one of the most suited to the fleet which the TOC had (although the livery and logo were enforced on NatEx by the SRA)
NatEx will be introducing a national livery for their fleet, much in the same way as most of the other group companies have already

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Here's hoping for some common sense . However in the past they have given us Trebor Refresher "One" and the original hideous green/purple/orange Scotrail whoosh.........not looking encouraging!

I reckon the original Scotrail whoosh livery was one of the best of modern liveries. Far better than the First Scotrail effort.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it's true that National Express are looking for a single livery style for all their franchises, think on.
They will shortly be reduced to 3 franchises (down from 8), East Coast ML, One and c2c.
Will they choose the One livery ????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts