Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...
I have a question about connecting an ECoS to a Laptop, what bits and pieces will I need, and will I have to get a special software program for the computer?
Thanks..
Paul..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear Puzzler,

Connection is via Ethernet Cable, see the documentation. No special s/w is requried if you only want to perform the functions described on p. 29, p. 30 and p.31 of the manual. These are updating the firmware on your ECos, or backing up and restoring your configuration data (including the definitions of locos and accessories).

If you want more advanced functions, like full control of your layout via s/w on your Laptop, then you will need additional s/w, like R&RCo or JMRI (Panelpro and DecoderPro), and additional components on your layout for location feedback. These packages only work if someone has written an interface program (communication protocol) for the ECos. You would have to check with the s/w vendor to find out which ones work with the ECos. Looking at the websites, it seems that R&RCo works fine with the Ecos (see here). I don't see the ECos listed on the JMRI site (see here), but there may be a way, as it is actively being discussed on the JMRI Yahoo Group right now. I am sure someone will come up with a solution in the near future.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (John @ 30 Aug 2008, 16:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear Puzzler,

Connection is via Ethernet Cable, see the documentation. No special s/w is requried if you only want to perform the functions described on p. 29, p. 30 and p.31 of the manual. These are updating the firmware on your ECos, or backing up and restoring your configuration data (including the defintions of locos and accessories).

If you want more advanced functions, like full control of your layout via s/w on your Laptop, then you will need additional s/w, like R&RCo or JMRI (Panelpro and DecoderPro), and additional components on your layout for location feedback. These packages only work if someone has written an interface program (communication protocol) for the ECos. You would have to check with the s/w vendor to find out which ones work with the ECos. Looking at the websites, it seems that R&RCo works fine with the Ecos (see here). I don't see the ECos listed on the JMRI site (see here), but there may be a way, as it is actively being discussed on the JMRI Yahoo Group right now. I am sure someone will come up with a solution in the near future.

Thanks John you have been very helpful, I'll take a look at R&RCo
Regards
Paul..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts