Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my new ECoS controller today, started it up and only the left hand side of the screen works, the right hand side is a grey blank and the Go light did not light up.

Any ideas except return it to the supplier?

R

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
QUOTE (randolph @ 16 Aug 2008, 18:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I received my new ECoS controller today, started it up and only the left hand side of the screen works, the right hand side is a grey blank and the Go light did not light up.

Any ideas except return it to the supplier?

R

I have persevered with it and can now report that the GO light does come on and I have managed to make a loco run with the new decoder I installed, however half the screen is still blank and I have to guess where the controls are on the right hand side.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there a simple fix?

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Randolph,

Just received mine today also and have exactly the same problem. I suspect it is the edge connector on the right hand screen.

I have called my supplier, Digitrains, but they have never come across this before and are going back to ESU to see if there is a quick fix.

Unfortunately ESU are in Germany and are closed until Tuesday.

If I hear any more I'll let you know.

Expat.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I haven't heard of this problem before. It sounds like a return job to me.

You can still register on the ECoS forum as you have the serial number on your ECoS. It would be worth putting a thread on there about your problem for a quick answer.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 17 Aug 2008, 02:51) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can still register on the ECoS forum

Which forum would that be Neil.

I've looked on the ESU website and cannot find a forum there. The only one I can find is the Yahoo Forum but that seems to be specific to Loksound issues.

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 18 Aug 2008, 00:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Which forum would that be Neil.

I've looked on the ESU website and cannot find a forum there. The only one I can find is the Yahoo Forum but that seems to be specific to Loksound issues.

Cheers,

Expat.

This one

ESU Support forum

This is also where you will download your software updates from.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Neil & Expat for your replies.

I purchased my ECoS from DCC Supplies who, unfortunately for me, are on holiday this week. I have e-mailed DCC Supplies and ESU to report the fault and have registered wit the ECoS site as directed by Neil.

I have managed to get the Controller to work and have wired it into my test track as this is all I have at present. I have also fitted a Lokpilot decoder to an M7 and am having great fun shunting up and down the track!!!!

I'll post any developments I get from DCC Supplies or ESU.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 18 Aug 2008, 02:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This one

ESU Support forum

This is also where you will download your software updates from.

Thanks Neil.

I've registered with ESU (I think) but as everything is in German am not entirely sure.

With so many English speaking owners isn't it about time they offered an English web site or at least an English translation ??

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 18 Aug 2008, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have e-mailed DCC Supplies and ESU to report the fault and have registered wit the ECoS site as directed by Neil.

Hi Randolph,

Which Forum section did you post your query on so that I can keep an eye on any responses from this end ??

Had a quick look around but couldn't spot it. Then again my German is virtually non-existant. Managed to find Neil's question about British outline loco symbols but no replies there yet.

Cheers,

Expat.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
There's also the ESU_ECoS group on Yahoo. Whilst this is not connected with ESU in any way, it is in English, the list owner has an agreement with ESU that he can upload the update binaries and there's a guy (I'm guessing he's German from his surname) who is pretty helpful regarding this kind of thing.

David

·
Registered
999 Posts
I bought an ECoS recently and if I recall correctly when I turned it on it had all the icons across the top of the screen, but only gave me the left hand side "speedometer". It was not until I programmed in additional locos and clicked on the right side select loco icon and selected a loco that I got the right hand side "speedo" etc. If you can see the symbols all the way across the top of the LED panel but nothing below them then selecting another loco on that side may cure the problem. You don't see the Function symbols until you have selected a loco, and even then they will only be shown for the functions active for that loco. I think for new locos it always shows default function symbols for Functions F0-F8.

Interestingly the green Go light on mine is also very, very, weak. I suspect that the LED for that isn't actually imemdiately below the button, but I don't intend taking the top off to find out, at least not when it's still only days old. The important thing is that the Red Stop one is clear to see.

I'm very pleased with the ECoS, and have asked ECoS if they plan to release UK loco symbols or if they intend to allow users to edit the symbols or create their own.

I agree with the comment that they need a support group in english if they're ever going to deliver sales in the US, I'm not sure that us UK users are numerous enough to make it worth their while on our own.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi guys and thanks for the input.

You'll be glad to know that it's 'Problem Solved'.

Randolph and I are not the only sufferers from this problem. It is, apparently, quite common with the ESU ECoS and I found the answer on the Yahoo ESU-ECoS forum.

As suspected it was the LCD Screen edge connector and it is easily fixable if you're feeling brave though care is needed.

If anyone wants the gory details drop me a PM.

Just don't tell ESU !!!!!

Cheers,

Expat

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 19 Aug 2008, 00:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks Neil.

I've registered with ESU (I think) but as everything is in German am not entirely sure.

With so many English speaking owners isn't it about time they offered an English web site or at least an English translation ??

Cheers,

Expat.
There is an option to have the forum in english however this is limited to the sections and not the posts that are made. The forum is there to be used by all and the more english speaking people that use it the more that will be attracted to it. There has been talk of an english version of the forum for some time but it hasn't happened yet.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Expat @ 18 Aug 2008, 15:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Randolph,

Which Forum section did you post your query on so that I can keep an eye on any responses from this end ??

Had a quick look around but couldn't spot it. Then again my German is virtually non-existant. Managed to find Neil's question about British outline loco symbols but no replies there yet.

Cheers,

Expat.
My German is non existent and in fact I did not post it on the forum but sent an e-mail to ESU - sorry got a bit mixed up with all the translating though the web that I had to do to register!!!!

R

·
Registered
45 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 19 Aug 2008, 07:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My German is non existent and in fact I did not post it on the forum but sent an e-mail to ESU - sorry got a bit mixed up with all the translating though the web that I had to do to register!!!!

R

Yes I also tried registering but gave up in the end because it was all in German.
Paul..

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Guys,

I managed to register with ESU by a process of trial and error. You don't actually need to know German (I certainly don't) as it's a pretty logical process.

The other group I have found useful is the yahoo one which is all in English even though quite a few of the contributions are from Germany.

This is the web site address:- [email protected]

Cheers,

Expat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts