Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone who has the ecos. there is a firmware update 1.05. from the german web site, you need to register to download.

john

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi all

1.0.5 has been around for a while now, becuase the ESU forum is currently only available in german a lot of english speaking ECoS users tend to steer clear of it, also when you try to register it fails unless you enter a german postal code. The fact that you now have to register to get the update is therefore making things a little awkward and awareness of update availablility not what it should be.

For these reasons i emailed ESU and obtained permission, (legally covering my *ss), to post the updates to the files area of the ESU ECoS yahoo group untill the english forum site is launched. unfortunately i didn't request permission to post the file here as well though. I will upload further updates to that area as they become available.

The long and the short of it is if you want the updates and don't want to register with the ESU forum go to Yahoo ECoS Group - Files. You may have to register and join the group but at least it's in english and it's another useful resource for all ECoS owners.

Have a nice day.

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Thanks for posting that link Mark.

I haven't bothered with the updates yet as it hasn't been neccessary and sounds too hard to be honest. Figured I'd leave that till I needed to or had nothing more pressing to do. I got version 1.0.3 on mine when I bought it so it's just the last two updates I don't have.

MMaD see if you can get someone to give you a go on one so you can see what it's like. It really is a great system. You will miss the walkaround feature but this can be solved with the remote that can be bought as an accessory. I've found it far easier to use than other systems because of the large display, use of drop down boxes instead of having to scroll through stuff, and the touch screen. It is easy to read a decoder too and see exactly how it's been programmed previously.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE I'm interested in how your setting down with your Ecos and your comments on the system.

MMaD - I don't have too much experience with any other top end systems on which to draw any comparisons. What i will say is that i fully agree with Neils comments. It is a great system and so easy to use, i don't regret my choice at all

With regard to how i'm settling down with it, I'm getting there, most of my battle is getting to fully understand the DCC concepts and terminology. That's what is holding me back at the moment but i'm learning very quickly not to make silly expensive mistakes that cause my sound fitted class 20 to shoot off the end of my test track at full speed and then a scale drop of a couple of hundred feet onto a wooden floor.
Needless to say that loco has been replaced for testing with a cheapo hornby class 8.

I have one or two other problems currently which i'm not sure whether they are attributable to the ECoS or me.

1. Shuttle trains - i can setup a shuttle and get it running but have two problems the first being the inability to control tge braking and stopping positions correctly, (probably my error), secondly when ending the shuttle the ECoS appears to hang completely and needs a complete reset to recover. (probably ECoS bug).

2. When my trains run over a particular set of points it fires all the points in the same direction about three or 4 times before it settles down again, my feeling is that it's likely to be a wiring fault on my test track but i've checked it out a couple of times and can't find anything. The points are running from a hornby accessory decoder which was a pig to get working, bearing in mind all the other reported hornby issues maybe it's something to do with that. I have a feeling though that it didn't happen with ECoS 1.0.4 firmware installed so maybe it's a bug in 1.0.5 after all. (not sure whether i can roll it back or not to try it).

Anyway trying to solve problem 2 is my project for today, i'll try rolling back to 1.0.4 first if that doesn't work i have acquired a lenz ls150 to swap the hornby out.

On the negative side it is sometimes a little difficult to get support either from ESU direct or through the forum but i think this is quite often a two fold language problem. one being the obvious german - english translation and the other possibly a novice like me not explaining my queries in the correct terminology.

QUOTE I haven't bothered with the updates yet as it hasn't been neccessary and sounds too hard to be honest. Figured I'd leave that till I needed to or had nothing more pressing to do. I got version 1.0.3 on mine when I bought it so it's just the last two updates I don't have.

Neil - Uploading the firmware update is very very easy as long as you observe all the normal precautions you shouldn't have any problem, having said that if the newer versions don't contain new features or fixes for specific issues that you have then maybe leaving well alone is the right strategy.

The main reason i'm on 1.0.5 is that i am using RR&Co train controller and was told at Dortmund by Juergen Freiwald himself that the only fully supported combination is ECoS 1.0.5 with train controller 5.81c. Again having said that i did have train controller working with 1.0.4 whilst i was waiting for 1.0.5 to be released.

As far as a walkabout is concerned i picked aup a Roco lokmaus in germany for just a few euros and i am using that as a walkabout throttle through the ECoS sniffer and it works a treat. The only problem with it being it's a lokmaus 3 i think so only supports 2 digit addressing so i will have to replace it eventually but for what it cost me it's perfect for my early experiments.

I'd Happily let MMaD have aplay with my ECoS but unfortunately we are a couple of hundred miles apart
it would actually be quite good to get an experienced DCC user to have a go in person so that i could draw on their knowledge.

Anyway Guys Have a good day, i've got some trains to play with

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (markw @ 20 Jun 2007, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have one or two other problems currently which i'm not sure whether they are attributable to the ECoS or me.

1. Shuttle trains - i can setup a shuttle and get it running but have two problems the first being the inability to control tge braking and stopping positions correctly, (probably my error), secondly when ending the shuttle the ECoS appears to hang completely and needs a complete reset to recover. (probably ECoS bug).

2. When my trains run over a particular set of points it fires all the points in the same direction about three or 4 times before it settles down again, my feeling is that it's likely to be a wiring fault on my test track but i've checked it out a couple of times and can't find anything. The points are running from a hornby accessory decoder which was a pig to get working, bearing in mind all the other reported hornby issues maybe it's something to do with that. I have a feeling though that it didn't happen with ECoS 1.0.4 firmware installed so maybe it's a bug in 1.0.5 after all. (not sure whether i can roll it back or not to try it).

Anyway trying to solve problem 2 is my project for today, i'll try rolling back to 1.0.4 first if that doesn't work i have acquired a lenz ls150 to swap the hornby out.

On the negative side it is sometimes a little difficult to get support either from ESU direct or through the forum but i think this is quite often a two fold language problem. one being the obvious german - english translation and the other possibly a novice like me not explaining my queries in the correct terminology.
Neil - Uploading the firmware update is very very easy as long as you observe all the normal precautions you shouldn't have any problem, having said that if the newer versions don't contain new features or fixes for specific issues that you have then maybe leaving well alone is the right strategy.

The main reason i'm on 1.0.5 is that i am using RR&Co train controller and was told at Dortmund by Juergen Freiwald himself that the only fully supported combination is ECoS 1.0.5 with train controller 5.81c. Again having said that i did have train controller working with 1.0.4 whilst i was waiting for 1.0.5 to be released.

As far as a walkabout is concerned i picked aup a Roco lokmaus in germany for just a few euros and i am using that as a walkabout throttle through the ECoS sniffer and it works a treat. The only problem with it being it's a lokmaus 3 i think so only supports 2 digit addressing so i will have to replace it eventually but for what it cost me it's perfect for my early experiments.

I'd Happily let MMaD have aplay with my ECoS but unfortunately we are a couple of hundred miles apart
it would actually be quite good to get an experienced DCC user to have a go in person so that i could draw on their knowledge.

Anyway Guys Have a good day, i've got some trains to play with

Regards

Mark

I haven't yet set up my shuttle lines, more due to lack of time than anything else. I have a Veissmann S88 sitting around for that purpose. I'll see if I have the same problems you have had.

I was going to wait for the switchpilot point decoder. It may be some wait but I figure it will be better in the long run.

We had some discussion some time ago on here about the updates and it sounds like it was very complicated. Apparently you have to get some obscure connector to your internet modem rather than the computer to connect it up. The impression I was left with from the discussion was that you had to be a computer wizard to even consider doing this. While I know how to use a computer I have no idea about the technical stuff in the background.

I also have a Lokmaus which I was going to use as a handheld but haven't got round to finding out how you connect it up yet.

How did you connect up your Ecos to the computer? Did you need a special cable to connect up your Lokmaus?

I didn't offer MMaD to come round my place for a go as it is a bit far away too. He is still most welcome though should he ever be in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
neil,

on the computer there is 2 connection. first the usb ports. second lan (local area network) these are the main connections, what you need is a cat 5 lan cable. plug one end into the ecos and the other into the computer. then setup a network connection, in the ecos manual near the end you will see a reference to an ip address there is a number something like 168,168,1,72 where this number would be the ecos address. you the put this into the network setup with a password. once setup you use your web browser use the above number and then access the ecos data. were you can up-load the up-date or save your current data.

if your using a broadband connection thru the lan network you will need a modem/router, this will give you 4 wireless and 4 wired connections
it's setup is nearly the same as windows. this way you can connect to the net and ecos at the same time.

john

p.s. hope this helps you neil

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (john g @ 21 Jun 2007, 11:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>neil,

on the computer there is 2 connection. first the usb ports. second lan (local area network) these are the main connections, what you need is a cat 5 lan cable. plug one end into the ecos and the other into the computer. then setup a network connection, in the ecos manual near the end you will see a reference to an ip address there is a number something like 168,168,1,72 where this number would be the ecos address. you the put this into the network setup with a password. once setup you use your web browser use the above number and then access the ecos data. were you can up-load the up-date or save your current data.

if your using a broadband connection thru the lan network you will need a modem/router, this will give you 4 wireless and 4 wired connections
it's setup is nearly the same as windows. this way you can connect to the net and ecos at the same time.
john

p.s. hope this helps you neil
Thanks John. This sounds like what was discussed on the previous thread. I will get the cable you mentioned. Is the modem/router something I will need to buy?

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 21 Jun 2007, 03:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks John. This sounds like what was discussed on the previous thread. I will get the cable you mentioned. Is the modem/router something I will need to buy?

I Saw the thread you mentioned and it did make things sound terribly complicated, i'm a computer systems engineer and it was confusing me

Providing your PC already has a network adapter all you need to connect the ECoS direct to the PC is a cat 5 crossover cable then follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't aleady have a broadband router/modem you definately don't need to buy one just to communicate with the ECoS.

QUOTE How did you connect up your Ecos to the computer? Did you need a special cable to connect up your Lokmaus?

To connect the ecos to the computer see above. To connect the lokmaus you connect the track power output wires from the roco command station to the sniffer input on the ECoS, the maus itself then connects to the roco command station as if it was a standalone system. The ECoS then sees the signals from the Roco command sation track output, translates them and sends them out via it's own track output. When you program your locos in the ecos you must also put in the sniffer address.

So if you had a loco in the lokmaus at address 09 and the same loco in the ECos at address 1111 the sniffer would listen for commands for loco 09 from the lokmaus and translate them to commands for loco 1111 before sending the command out to the track.

It's all explained in the manual, just in case you find my description sounds like gobbledygook.

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (markw @ 21 Jun 2007, 15:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I Saw the thread you mentioned and it did make things sound terribly complicated, i'm a computer systems engineer and it was confusing me

Providing your PC already has a network adapter all you need to connect the ECoS direct to the PC is a cat 5 crossover cable then follow the instructions in the manual. If you don't aleady have a broadband router/modem you definately don't need to buy one just to communicate with the ECoS.
To connect the ecos to the computer see above. To connect the lokmaus you connect the track power output wires from the roco command station to the sniffer input on the ECoS, the maus itself then connects to the roco command station as if it was a standalone system. The ECoS then sees the signals from the Roco command sation track output, translates them and sends them out via it's own track output. When you program your locos in the ecos you must also put in the sniffer address.

So if you had a loco in the lokmaus at address 09 and the same loco in the ECos at address 1111 the sniffer would listen for commands for loco 09 from the lokmaus and translate them to commands for loco 1111 before sending the command out to the track.

It's all explained in the manual, just in case you find my description sounds like gobbledygook.

Cheers

Mark

Connecting up the Ecos to the Lokmaus seems easy enough. I did look it up in the manual once I got home. I just need to see what type of cable I need.

I will get the lan connector and have a go with that. I suppose what concerns me is doing something which will screw up the software as I am a bit clueless about electronics.

Just one other thing Mark, have you been able to allocate a four digit address to anty loco? for some reason I haven't been able to get it to do this.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
I was having a look through the ECoS forum and came across this thread in English. It appears that the Veissmann 5233 S-88 will not function if it is the last S-88 in the series. This means that if it is the only one you have it will not work. ESU have recommended LDT S88's instead. They are working on compatibility with the 5233.

QUOTE Hello,

we also recognized this problem. The reason is that the 5233's impedance is too high for the galvanic isolated s88-Bus of the ECoS: It could happen that it simply does not work at all.

However, if you combine the 5233 with other modules, it will work, if the 5233 is not the last module in the chain. So simple add another s88 module after the 5233, then both will work.

Sorry for this inconvenience, but as all other s88 modules do work without any problem, this is a 5233 problem. We recommend LDT (Littfinski Datentechnik) s88 modules, as all of them work well.

How I wish they had discovered this three months ago before I bought a 5233. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go shopping at LDT!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Thanks for the kind offer of a try out lads. It seems the Ecos will become an excellent system once all the bugs are resolved, it does take time. It also re-highlights the problems ESU as a company has in communicating in English into what is a predominant English market IE the USA. I think it takes guts to take on a new untried system some work like the Ecos, others are not so lucky !
I'll be following progress with interest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 27 Jun 2007, 05:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was having a look through the ECoS forum and came across this thread in English. It appears that the Veissmann 5233 S-88 will not function if it is the last S-88 in the series. This means that if it is the only one you have it will not work. ESU have recommended LDT S88's instead. They are working on compatibility with the 5233.
How I wish they had discovered this three months ago before I bought a 5233. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go shopping at LDT!

I have LDT modules and they are very good. Good support to - and in english

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (markw @ 27 Jun 2007, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have LDT modules and they are very good. Good support to - and in english

I ordered a couple yesterday so hopefully they will turn up soon. They seem to be the best for two rail S-88 modules.

QUOTE I think it takes guts to take on a new untried system some work like the Ecos, others are not so lucky ! I'll be following progress with interest.

If it hadn't had been made by ESU I would have been reluctant to fork out so much dosh on an untried system but their reputation is pretty good. I certainly haven't been disapointed so far. The main problem as previously said is the lack of support in English language. You will get an answer from ESU if you contact them and you can use English on the German forum so it is not a complete lack of support it's just not instant or as comprehensive as you would like. I haven't found it too much of a problem as I am used to having to operate without much support due to where I am located, the only DCC supported at all in Ozz is Digitrax. If you are used to being "babied" and run after then it isn't the system for you. You have to go out and find out information for yourself. While the manual is extensive there are some gaps and it is these gaps that require initiative or advice to fill. The advice seems to be there on the German forum and can be translated, but it can take a bit of puzzling over the google translation. All in all considered, the minor inconvenience of a couple of issues does not detract from how good the system is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts