Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have had the ECOS for one year now and it has worked extremely well. I wonder if any of you have tried to upgrade the firmware. The latest is 1.0.6. I have version 1.0.0.

I am a bit puzzled because in the manual it says that you "should not in any way update the ECOS unless it's giving you problems" and "do not absolutely upgrade a system that works well". This sounds a bit scary to me! Is it dangerous?

Also in the ESU forum they tell you that you should first upgrade to version 1.0.1 and then to 1.0.6.

So I wonder if anybody has tried to update and if there are significant new features in the upgrade: is it worth it?

Thanks
Carlo

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (oazman @ 10 Sep 2007, 19:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi
I have had the ECOS for one year now and it has worked extremely well. I wonder if any of you have tried to upgrade the firmware. The latest is 1.0.6. I have version 1.0.0.

I am a bit puzzled because in the manual it says that you "should not in any way update the ECOS unless it's giving you problems" and "do not absolutely upgrade a system that works well". This sounds a bit scary to me! Is it dangerous?

Also in the ESU forum they tell you that you should first upgrade to version 1.0.1 and then to 1.0.6.

So I wonder if anybody has tried to update and if there are significant new features in the upgrade: is it worth it?

Thanks
Carlo
Yes it definitely is. There are numerous corrections to software and additions which are worthwhile such as turntable control and fine polishing of the shuttle feature. The next one will have railcom additions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As with any firmware update there is a small risk, in my experience there are two things that can go wrong. Loss of power during the update and human impatience i.e turning it off when it hasn't finished, the update can take a few minutes while outwardly the system appears to be doing nothing. Apart from that i personally have updated on each release with no problems.

As Neil says, the updates contain bug fixes and new features so in my opinion it's definately worth updating. However if you don't need the new features and aren't being affected by any of the bugs then you have to balance the small risk against that and make your own decision.

I suppose with your set still on 1.0 you ought to give serious thought to updating, as you point out you have to go to 1.0.1 before you can go any further as it is and there is a chance that at some point ESU may remove vaialbility of the earlier updates which would obviously make things more difficult in the future so that's something else worth considering.

Have a nice day

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Mark is right, I probably shouldn't have been too eager to say go ahead as there is an element of risk. It is probably not as great as you would imagine from the ECoS manual as they have to cover there back but you probably want to give it some serious consideration.

Top tip make sure you wife or girlfriend and kids are out of the house before doing the update.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I thought that it would be something like you described.

mark says:
>However if you don't need the new features and aren't being affected by any of the bugs then you >have to balance the small risk against that and make your own decision.

I have not seen any bugs yet. But regarding the "new" features I don't know if I need them: I only run the trains on the ECOS. I have not attempted to control points and semaphores yet, since I have a small layout and I like to control those using buttons (it's quicker).
I don't have a turntable but I would like to buy one at some stage.

What are the most important new features in the ECOS updates?

neil:
>Top tip make sure you wife or girlfriend and kids are out of the house before doing the update.

That's what I had in mind when I connected the ECOS to backup the data on my PC: my sons were running wild about the room and I kept yelling at them to stay well clear of the desk!

Carlo

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Carlo

as Neil said they have to cover their back, but I and others I know have updated each time a new software version arrives with not the slightest difficulty. ESU are really taking care with this stuff.

There is also a danger in getting too far / too many revisions behind so I'd just do it now to be honest!

Richard

·
Registered
20 Posts
[quote name='Richard Johnson' date='11 Sep 2007, 20:36' post='35577']
Carlo

as Neil said they have to cover their back, but I and others I know have updated each time a new software version arrives with not the slightest difficulty. ESU are really taking care with this stuff.

There is also a danger in getting too far / too many revisions behind so I'd just do it now to be honest!

Richard

I agree with Richard. I have had my Ecos since Nov 06 and have updated all firmware releases with no trouble at all. Some of the updates I may not need now but might in the future.

Ian sa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
It's actually quite easy to do Carlo. You have already done the hardest part which is getting the ECoS and your computer to talk to each other.

QUOTE What are the most important new features in the ECOS updates?

Fine tuning the shuttle feature was one, adding turntable control is another, the forthcoming Railcom thingy will be important. There is a bit on the ECoS forum which tells you what is in each update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One feature that I like that I am pretty sure was not in the earlier versions is that I found that when I stopped a train I would rotate the control knob too far to its click stop, then it would change the train direction. Now you can turn this off, and control the direction change with the joystick instead.
Keith

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (keith.moore @ 14 Sep 2007, 00:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>One feature that I like that I am pretty sure was not in the earlier versions is that I found that when I stopped a train I would rotate the control knob too far to its click stop, then it would change the train direction. Now you can turn this off, and control the direction change with the joystick instead.
Keith
The only problem I have with this is that I had become accustomed to using the toggle for the whistle on Locos with Loksound 3.5 decoders. So now when I go to use the whistle, the loco changes direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too have an ECos and reading this would like to update it. I have full communication with the web site, however being unable to read German I am somewhat stuck. Does anyone have an easy solution to this?
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Nicholas1 @ 15 Sep 2007, 20:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too have an ECos and reading this would like to update it. I have full communication with the web site, however being unable to read German I am somewhat stuck. Does anyone have an easy solution to this?
Many thanks
Use the Google language translator. It's not perfect but it does.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE There is a bit on the ECoS forum which tells you what is in each update.
Do you have to be a registered owner to see what's in the update? I've looked for it a couple of times but not found it.

David

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (Nicholas1 @ 15 Sep 2007, 11:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I too have an ECos and reading this would like to update it. I have full communication with the web site, however being unable to read German I am somewhat stuck. Does anyone have an easy solution to this?
Many thanks

I Have permission from esu to post the updates to the yahoo forum untill the english support site is up and running so you can get the download from there instead. It's a useful forum to join for all ECoS users anyway.

Hopefully this link will work Yahoo Ecos Group

Cheers

Mark

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Hopefully this link will work Yahoo Ecos Group

It worked for me.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Nicholas1 @ 19 Sep 2007, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That works wonderfully, thankyou very much
Nick

Hi All
I just wanted to say thanks. I followed your tips (did the update while wife & kids were safely asleep) and have updated to version 1.0.6.

By the way in the ESU forum (if I understood correctly) they are saying that the new mobile control that we've been waiting for (and is due in November) can be used only after updating the firmware to version 1.1.0 (which has still to come out). Is this correct?

Carlo

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (oazman @ 2 Oct 2007, 01:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All
I just wanted to say thanks. I followed your tips (did the update while wife & kids were safely asleep) and have updated to version 1.0.6.

By the way in the ESU forum (if I understood correctly) they are saying that the new mobile control that we've been waiting for (and is due in November) can be used only after updating the firmware to version 1.1.0 (which has still to come out). Is this correct?

Carlo
Yes I'm afraid that is correct, according to what I was advised on the ECoS forum. I am looking forward to the mobile control though it will make things a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts