Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new firmware for Ecos is out. Has anyone tried it yet? How is it? Everything is in Enlgish?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I've seen the announcements of the release on the Yahoo group but have not seen any details of what's in it.

I'm sure Neil will be along shortly to let us know.....

David

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is for real, however the instructions are in German and the google translation might as well be in Chinese! I am uncertain of the correct procedure as it requires downloading version 2.5 then 3.0. I think I will wait until someone has had the courage to do it and can tell us less technically competent ludites how to do it. I will add I have not had any trouble with any other the other updates.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes,

It's for real. Have just done mine, going from 1.1.2 to 3.0.0. It took 10 minutes and went without a hitch. I had been through the relevant bits of the release notes first with a copy of Babelfish.

Prcess for me was:

Download the 3.0.0 ZIP file "ECoS_update_3-0-0_complete_01.zip" and save it on your PC. There are 3 files in there:

ECoS_rescue-update_2-5-1.bci - This ones the 1st stage of the process
ECoS_update_3-0-0.bci - This ones the 2nd stage ofthe process
3-0-0_Kurzanleitung.pdf - This is the release notes, but there all in german, unfortunately.

Now unzip the Zip file, XP might let you do it but if not you'll need WinZip, and save each of the three files on your PC. I have a directory set up just for ESU downloads.

Now plug Network cable into the ECoS. If you have a hub use a normal Cat5e cable, otherwise you will have to use what is known as a Cat 5e crossover cable. Next plug in the ECoS's power. That's the last thing you do using the ECoS itself. Everything else is via your PC.

On your PC Point Internet Explorer at the ECoS's IP address.

You then see the ECoS's own web page. Click on the Union Jack for English. Then on Home

I noted down the info on screen, particularly the IP address, in case I might need it if anything went wrong.

Click on Save Configuration to save all your routes etc. and decide where you want t osave teh file on your PC and follow the instruction o nthe PC same as you would for saving any Internet download.

Next click on Firmware update.

The PC will now show a warning message that you update at your own risk. It will also show you a dialog box with a browse button. click o nthe browse button and find the file "ECoS_rescue-update_2-5-1.bci". Now click on Send.

The ECoS's screen will now show "Updating Software Do not Unplug"

It will then show Installing Rescue system Please Wait.

Your PC will now show Page Cannot be displayed. Do not worry, this is because the ECoS is not showing it's web page to the PC because it is updating itself.

The ECoS will reboot automatically, the same way as your PC does when you install a Windows security patch.

The ECoS screen will show a puffing steam loco whici is its way of saying please wait. After a minute ot two it wil lthe nshow you the REscue Mode screen, with its IP address above it. For me this was the same as the one I noted down at the start. If it is just xlick the Refresh button on your browser, its the one with the double arrows. If it's not, then enter the IP address in your browser as http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Do not incldue leading zeros. For example if your ECoS's IP address is 192.168.7.16 you enter it exactly like that not as 192.168.007.016.

You should now see the ECoS own web page again. This time it will only have three options: Navigation, Stat and Firmware Update.

Click on Firmware Update.

The PC will now show a warning message that you update at your own risk. It will also show you a dialog box with a browse button. click o nthe browse button and find the file "ECoS_update_3-0-0.bci". Now click on Send.

The PCs scree nwill show a series of messages. it is actually the ECoS showing what stage it has reached in the Update process.

The ECoS's screen will now show "Updating Software Do not Unplug"

It will then reboot, and you'll be in the brave new world of Firmware 3.0.0. In m ycae it came back with the same locos etc as before.

If you then click on the Refresh button on your Pc it will then show you the ECoS Navigation web page. Click on Start and it will show you its new settings, and the second entry down Software Version should now show 3.0.0.

As I don't think you can use a configuration file created with firmware 1.1.3 or earlier, I clicked on Save Configuration and followed the instructions on my PC's screen.

That;s all there was for me. I hope your update goes as smoothly.

It does pay to persevere with translating pages 1 & 2 of the release notes just t oget the idea of wha tthey're trying to tell you. i hope it makes sense with these notes.

I'm off for a play with my updated ECoS, now. Good Luck. I hope your update goes as smoothly.

Keith.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Thanks for the detailed notes Keith. I'm sure people will find them helpful.

David

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also did the update it went pretty easily and smoothly. After the update the Ecos seems to be faster and there is a new trackplan functions, havent tried that yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is totally the same. You will notice a little difference when you do the "rescue firmware (2.5)" update, cause after this update the Ecos will boot up in rescue mode and not in its regular working mode. Though you can still reach the Ecos through a its ip address on a web browser and update to firmware v3 and after that it is the same old update.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Thanks for that. I have just completed my update. I found I needed to refresh the webpage before I could do the second 3.0.0 update. It may just be my browser.

It seems like a really good update. I had a bit of a fiddle and it seems pretty easy to do the track thing.

I noted that there were no UK loco icons in this update. What annoys me is that I spent time making these and actually sent them to ESU as well as uploading them to their old forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts