Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm considering upgrading my DCC sometime in the next year so I was looking around and got a tad confused. I'm looking for something that could be used for OO or G.
Got these details off an ESU website I thought that the ECOS had switchable output so why are there two power output alternatives? The 18v one would obviously be best for G.
ECoS with 18V Output, English Handbook

ECoS with 15V Output, English Handbook

Also what is the difference between 50090 & 50092, apart from £40? If the main ECOS unit will only output 18volts and the amps are the same.

Transformer 18V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

Transformer 15V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

Transformer 19V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

any ideas chaps?

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (PaulRhB @ 29 Apr 2008, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I'm considering upgrading my DCC sometime in the next year so I was looking around and got a tad confused. I'm looking for something that could be used for OO or G.
Got these details off an ESU website I thought that the ECOS had switchable output so why are there two power output alternatives? The 18v one would obviously be best for G.
ECoS with 18V Output, English Handbook

ECoS with 15V Output, English Handbook

Also what is the difference between 50090 & 50092, apart from £40? If the main ECOS unit will only output 18volts and the amps are the same.

Transformer 18V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

Transformer 15V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

Transformer 19V/5A, Input 120-240VAC

any ideas chaps?

***Ecos's rail voltage is relatively high - I have experimented quite a lot and think that the 15v transformer is the way to go for OO as a top limit. I actually went as low as 12v with the tests and was very happy with OO performance with this input level in all ways - but ESU don't go so low in their offerings....

If you want a higher voltage transformer for G, then treat it as a separate issue, as the PS thats OK for G will certainly be too high for OO.

A good alternative - as you have to have one with the ECOS purchase as its packed with it, use the 15V for OO and for G, get a laptop computer supply with 18v DC output - better regulated than the ECOS supply, well protected and probably cheaper too...

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi

I finally upgraded to an ECOS last week, after selling off my ZTC equipment. As far as I can tell, it does not offer voltage switching, i.e. 18V in = 18v out. Hence the need to offer a specific N gauge version.
The one I have also includes a voucher to echange the 18v PSU for a 15V one by sending it to ESU in Germany. However, I understand from my dealer that the 15v PSU will not be available until June.

To the best of my knowledge 18v 4 amps to the track is going to be fine for LGB locos, but more power hungry Aristo-Craft or USA Trains locos are going to drink it dry.

I also have a Dynamis and the Bachmann 5 Amp Booster ( which is very good value at £85 from Hattons btw ). The potentially BIG advantage of using the Bachmann Booster is that it IS voltage switchable to either 14V for OO/Ho or 18v for G Scale / Large Scale. It appears to be a good quality unit too, nice build quality, fan cooled etc.

Fo my LGB I may just use the Dynamis with the Booster, or I may try connecting everything together, using the ECOSniffer port on the ECOS to connect the Dynamis.
Using the booster is only going to up the output by 1 Amp I know, but it may be usefull for a second power district, or the extra 1 amp may make all the differnce when using lighted coaches.

Early days, but you are welcome to pop round and try the gadgets out if you like. I keep meaning to get along to the Wimborne Club..one day.

I do not know the difference between the transformers, the 4 amp one included with the ECOS is not ESU branded, made by Wanji Electronics, China.

Best Regards
Ashley

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 29 Apr 2008, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Early days, but you are welcome to pop round and try the gadgets out if you like. I keep meaning to get along to the Wimborne Club..one day.
Cheers Ashley
I'll give you a bit of time to get familiar with the ECOS and I will take you up on the offer of a play. You're welcome at the Wimborne club anytime.
Programme of what's on is on our site.
http://www.wimrail.org.uk/
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts