Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having received my ECoS controller this week I have now found out that it is running on software upgrade 1.0.5 when the latest upgrade is 1.1.2.. Whilst I can use a PC I am not that confident with the more unusual aspects of PC'ing. I have read the ECoS instructions but they leave me a little bemused. Therefore can someone give me an idiots guide on how to download the update from the ECoS internet site to my ECoS via my PC. I have a Sony PC which is routed through a Wireless ADSL2 router to the internet, also do I have to download all the updates or just the latest one?

Thanks R

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Take it one step at a time. Connecting it to a PC is pretty straightforward. You can certainly connect it and try to find the built in web page without doing any damage. To get mine to connect, I have a standard ethernet cable which I plug into a spare network socket on my ADSL router. This adds the ECoS to the same network as the PC. Then I follow the instructions in the manual.

QUOTE also do I have to download all the updates or just the latest one?
I don't feel confident to answer this one but I think you would get a definitive answer on the ESU_ECoS Yahoo forum. There's a German guy on there who is pretty clued up about these things.

David

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have jsut done this on my new ECoS and it was quite straightforward.

You only have to download the latest version 1.1.2. You can download it before you connect the ECoS, but do make sure that you download the .BCI version. If you download the .zip version you will have to use something like WinZip to extract it first. Decide where you are going to save the download on your computer as you will need that later.

You will need an ethernet cable to plug into the ECoS and a spare port on your router. The router should assign an IP address to the ECoS automatically. To see the ECoS's IP address follow the instructions i nteh back of the manual. The address will probably start with 192.168. Write down the IP address that the ECoS shows you after you have plugged it in to the router.

You now have to open your internet Browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, and type in the IP address from the ECoS that you wrote down earlier.

You should now see on your PC screen the scereenshot from the back of the ECoS manual. There should be a menu on the left hand side of teh screen. if it's in German, click on the Union Jack for the English translation.

Save teh current settings as it tells you to do i nteh manual.

Now click on the Firmware update button, it really means software update.

You should now see a dialog box and a browse button to the left of it. click o nthe browse button and use the normal process to navigate yoru way to the place on your PC where you stored the BCI download. whic hshould then appear in the dialog box. To start the update click the Send button on your Pc 's screen, and watch the ECoS's screen. DO NOT SWITCH EITHER MACHINE OFF until the ECoS says Update Complete. Then just follow the instructions on the ECoS screen.

I think that's all you need, if I've got any part wrong I hope someone will correct my errors.

Keith.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It would be really great to know what these upgrades actually chaange.
My German isn't up to working it out from the Ecos site
In fact the lack of UK support is the only real draw back with Ecos, otherwise I am more than happy

·
Registered
999 Posts
QUOTE (Vulcanbomber @ 22 Aug 2008, 20:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It would be really great to know what these upgrades actually chaange.
My German isn't up to working it out from the Ecos site
In fact the lack of UK support is the only real draw back with Ecos, otherwise I am more than happy
I agree completely. ESU do have an english language web site which I think is primarily aimed at the US market. If they are serious about selling in the US they will need to provide support in english as I can't see the Yanks being as patient as us. hopefully when that happens all other english-speaking ECoS users can piggy-back off it.

Keith

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Sorry to come in to this a bit late. I was at the AMRA exhibition all yesterday. If I remember rightly the downloads had to be in order round about 1.0.5 1.0.6 as any subsequent downloads were dependent upon something or other. I can't remember precisely what it was now. You needed one download before the next one or something like that. Check the ECoS forum or ask on the yahoo group before doing it.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Backup Files version 1.1.0 can no longer in older versions of software (before 1.0.5). Former backup files can be in the version 1.1.0 used.
When trying to reach a ECoS with firmware version 1.0.6 an earlier firmware version aufzuspielen, there can be problems.

Sorry I couldn't remeber precisley what it was but I have looked into it. You had to have at least 1.0.5 before any subsequent updates. As you have 1.0.5 you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completed my update just now by downloading just update 1.1.2 and everything seems to be OK - it was v.easy with the assistance given on this site.

Many thanks to you all for your help.

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts