Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I've been browsing round the internet for another model railway forum to join and thought this seemed like a good place to be.

I've just started a new N gauge layout after some 10 years away from the hobby. I'm blogging the layout's construction on this webpage...

Aslanvale

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (N Gauge James @ 23 Mar 2008, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been browsing round the internet for another model railway forum to join and thought this seemed like a good place to be.
I've just started a new N gauge layout after some 10 years away from the hobby. I'm blogging the layout's construction on this webpage...
Aslanvale
Hullo there James and welcome to the MRF!

How splendid to have another N gauge modeller, I'm sure there will be plenty of people here to help if you have any questions. I'm a European N scale modeller so won't be of so much help directly, although I am in a similar position space wise to you having read your website! (I think I will go modular.) Utilising a wardrobe in that way is a good idea, and I think you can't go wrong with a Freezer plan.

When you stop to add up all the costs it can be an expensive hobby to begin with, although all the saws and spanners are a one off purchase I suppose.

I read also that you are a classical musician, what do you play? I really would die without MAHLER.

(and the rest too!
)

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi James and welcome to the MRF from another N Gauger.

Your 'Eh up' caught my eye so I guess your origins are in the North of England. I'm from Lancashire originally but have been overseas for so long I've almost forgotten what it is like 'oop North'. I too am in the planning stage of a layout that I have been promising myself for more years than I care to think about. Mine, however, is to be built in China which is where I plan to retire to in 3 years time. Meanwhile I am building my point control boards (Stud & probe type) and doing some detailing work on locos and rolling stock.

Had a look at your web site and must congratulate you on both its organisation and content. Very nicely done. Given the space constraints you are obviously under I applaud your choice of layout which should give plenty of operational and scenic possibilities. I look forward to seeing your progress.

One thing I did pick up on though is your intention to use Peco Point Motors. Might I suggest you also have a look at Seep motors as their PM1 motors do not require such a large hole in the baseboard, take up less room below the board than the Peco ones and will also allow you to change the polarity on your Electrofrog points. They are just as reliable, maybe even more so, and are also cheaper.

Keep up the good work,

Expat.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Goedel and Expat,

Expat...sorry, but I'm a Midlander born and bred. I was looking for something to say other than 'hello' or 'hi' and it was the first thing to pop in to my mind! Thanks for your kind words about the website, always good to know that something is easy to get round!

I have seen seep motors before and thought they were more expensive, browsing through Hattons I now see that they are indeed cheaper. I hadn't realised that they are made by Gaugemaster, seeing as I'm using their point control unit it would make sense to use the seep motors too, so thank you for that.

Goedel, I'm a clarinettist by trade...Mahler is a nightmare for us, changing instruments every five seconds it seems! Still, it's worth it when the end of Mahler 5 or 6 comes together!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts