Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi One ans All.
Just found this site and it may just be the answer to all my prayers. After some fortyodd years my hornby dublo set has finally returned to me after being passed down trough the entire family. My son does'nt have the time or space for it so I've got it back. It has of course been added to over the year and I intend to get it all set up again. Have had all the engines serviced and have got a few odds and end off E-bay.
Now for some help Electric points have got six and would like to use them but unsure of the wiring have got switches some with three terminals some with only two and I'm at a loss as to how they operate Have the old type transformer with A B C slots but no instructions. Any help would been very grateful
Dennis (new member)

Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon鈥檚 Edge, living on The Edge! 馃榾
Here is some brief info Re: HD Electric Points and switches.

Switches (Lever type.)

RED (Maroon). 3 terminals. 2 types, one has the slots elongated at either end, on has a plain slot. Both do the same job, which is "passing contact" for operating points and electric semaphore signals. The single terminal is the common power supply + from the transformer. The other two terminals are one for each "direction" to the solenoid in the point or signal. (Point or signal has 3 terminals. 2 are these two wires, the third is the - Negative return to the transformer. (I would need to check, but I THINK the centre terminal on the point or signal is the Negative.)

Black. 2 terminals, both on the one side of the switch. This is an On/Off switch for isolating sections, lighting circuits, etc. One terminal in and one terminal out. With an Isolating rail, which also has two terminals (on the SAME Rail, with a gap between) it is one wire between each pair of terminals (Switch/isolating rail.)

Green. 3 Terminals. For Colour Light Signals. The single terminal is the common power supply + from the transformer. The other two terminals are one for each "Aspect" or colour light. The colour light signal has 3 terminals. 2 are these two wires, the third is the - Negative return to the transformer. (I would need to check, but I THINK the centre terminal on the colour light signal is the Negative.)

I will check and post again tomorrow night.

Just one more thing, are we talking 2 or 3-rail HD? (HD 2-rail points have two sets of terminals! the ones nearest the point motor casing are for the motor, the others are a switch operated by the point mechanism, these are also present on HD 2-rail Hand Operated Points. They can be used to switch isolating sections, OR colour light signals.)

Registered
Thanks Sarah,
Off to a good start,will be getting the base boards at easter and then I can start setting up. Just some wire to buy now. Mines the 3 rail track and I seem to have aquired quite a lot off e-bay some at a very good price. So I may be coming back for more help as I get on

Thanks
and By for now
Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts