Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon鈥檚 Edge, living on The Edge! 馃榾
Here is some brief info Re: HD Electric Points and switches.

Switches (Lever type.)

RED (Maroon). 3 terminals. 2 types, one has the slots elongated at either end, on has a plain slot. Both do the same job, which is "passing contact" for operating points and electric semaphore signals. The single terminal is the common power supply + from the transformer. The other two terminals are one for each "direction" to the solenoid in the point or signal. (Point or signal has 3 terminals. 2 are these two wires, the third is the - Negative return to the transformer. (I would need to check, but I THINK the centre terminal on the point or signal is the Negative.)

Black. 2 terminals, both on the one side of the switch. This is an On/Off switch for isolating sections, lighting circuits, etc. One terminal in and one terminal out. With an Isolating rail, which also has two terminals (on the SAME Rail, with a gap between) it is one wire between each pair of terminals (Switch/isolating rail.)

Green. 3 Terminals. For Colour Light Signals. The single terminal is the common power supply + from the transformer. The other two terminals are one for each "Aspect" or colour light. The colour light signal has 3 terminals. 2 are these two wires, the third is the - Negative return to the transformer. (I would need to check, but I THINK the centre terminal on the colour light signal is the Negative.)

I will check and post again tomorrow night.

Just one more thing, are we talking 2 or 3-rail HD? (HD 2-rail points have two sets of terminals! the ones nearest the point motor casing are for the motor, the others are a switch operated by the point mechanism, these are also present on HD 2-rail Hand Operated Points. They can be used to switch isolating sections, OR colour light signals.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.