Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to use Peco code 75 track on my next layout in the loft. Having purchased my first two points I have noticed that there is a total short between the left and right track at the frog. There is a wire under the track which links up the track to produce a deliberate short. Removing the offending wire would seem to serve no purpose as the rails touch each other at the frog nib anyway. Am I missing something? I have seen an article somewhere about modifying the electrofrog points to accommodate DCC but cannot relocate it.

Branchy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks CeeDee, I didn't read this until late last night and it looked complicated, this morning things look clearer. At least I was correct in that a short would occur if both trailing ends of any point were wired for power, hence the need for an insulated section. I have to figure that out in some detail but there still seems to be a possibility of long locos with multi pick ups bridging the insulated sections. However as this system works for hundreds of others I must be missing the point (pun intended)

Branchy

·
Registered
521 Posts
Great link from DeeDee - I used to know all that but memory does fade and a refresher course is invaluable, almost essential in my case!

Do persist with the electro-frogs - eliminating dead spots is well worth it and the bonus is that they look so much better too. Just a pity that Peco don't use metal for the check/guard rails to complete the realism effect. Maybe they will in time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, think I've got it now, just checked a passing loop out in theory. The main and loop sections will have their own power source and will be isolated from their trailing points. If the points are set to main and there is a consist on the loop it will be operable providing it does not hit the insulated gap. The spin off from this is that the consist would automatically stop due to the short because the points are set against it. Presumably the whole DCC system would shut down, I shall set up a length of test track in this configuration to check it out.

Pardon me for seeming a bit dim, I do believe what you tell me but I like to prove things for myself, that way I understand and remember what is happening, I'm a strictly hands on type.

Do Peco produce insulating connectors or do I have to leave a small gap and secure the track ends carefully?

Branchy

·
Registered
487 Posts
Peco sell white coloured plastic insulated rail connectors in packets of 10 and retail at £1.30 per 10.
The expert modellers recommend that both rails be insulated for a better performance in running both steam and diesel locomotives.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you double00, I suspected as much. I tried my local supplier for a Peco catalogue but he had run out, I believe they are about to produce a new one, no doubt all will be revealed once I can get my hands on one.

Branchy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks R-R,

As you say, a very comprehensive source. Whilst I could probably tackle the electrics I doubt whether I would have the motivation to start what would be an extremely long build programme. I would love to have an all singing/dancing layout, block detection, auto signalling, the works. This magnitude of construction requires the sort of single minded dedication which I no longer have. At the moment I am in the middle of building a small oval layout in a small bedroom and already planning a larger operating based layout in the loft (I'm on plan 50 or thereabouts). It takes me about three days just to construct a Metcalfe kit.

Branchy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.