Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for advice/help regarding electronic uncouplers for stock with NEM couplings. I understand that Peco and Hornby offer electronic uncouplers. I have also read about Seep tension lock uncouplers. As I am new to the hobby - and making lots of mistakes! - I am trying to keep things fairly simple. Can they all be operated from a Hornby DCC Select controller? Are they ‘easy’ to install? Which look the most realistic? Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
This recent discussion might help.

With regard to DCC control, anything that is controlled by a manual switch either push button or toggle can usually be controlled using a DCC accessory decoder where the DCC accessory decoder replaces the manual switch. The tricky bit is matching the current and volt requirements of the thing being controlled. In some cases the current required may so high as to require the insertion of a relay to keep the high current away from the DCC accessory decoder - anyone who has added spotlights to their car will know what I mean

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Do you know if the hornby uncoupler can be operated by a motor under the baseboard? Any thoughts on the Seep tension lock uncoupler. I have seen pictures of this product and it looks more realistic than the hornby version?

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
I'm afraid I can't help there
as I use Kadee's on my stock.

David

·
Registered
166 Posts
I tried the SEEP uncoupler on a previous layout which was DC. It is a very crude solenoid that makes a lot of noise when operated and is quite difficult to install and adjust so that it does not shoot the rolling stock off the track. I personally did not get on with it.
On my latest layout I converted to Kadees

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club.
Don't worry too much about making errors and mistakes. I've been railway modelling since the 1960's and haven't got it right in every aspect yet.
best wishes, Greg H

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have installed the seep un-couplers on my outside layout and operated them successfullu for over 10 years - they are a little fiddly to set to the right height particular when you do not have access to the underside. I have to drill a hole in the concrete base and ajust by trial and error until permantly fixing the uncoupler. A article with photographs is in preperation.

Trevor Jones

1 - 7 of 7 Posts