Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 26 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an Elite owner I'd like to suggest that those of us who have the system start to gather information about the bits n pieces that DO work with it.
All we seem to be getting at the moment is a lot of finger pointing and giggling at Hornby's new toy, but precious little hard fact about what it CAN do.
Many of the shortfalls or incompatability issues may well exist but merely slagging them off is of little help to people like me, so what can we do to help ourselves get around some of the apparant issues?
Fistly my own DCC needs are well within the Elite's scope without any add on bits at all, so as long as the loco decoders work with it, then I'm all good.
I've found that Bachmann's "On Board" (both U.K & U.S models) & Digitrax decoders work well and of course Hornby's are a given.
I'm led to believe that TCS decoders are not a happy match to the Elite so should be avoided but perhaps someone else can confirm this for certain.
As far as expansion of the system itself goes, my own inclination is to wait for Hornby to release the required gizmo, be that a reverse loop module or a walkaround controller, same as if I had purchased a Digitrax or Lenz unit ,I would stick to the brand as this should increase the chances of success.
The idea here is to put aside the crap that's been thrown at the Elite and find out what makes it work well, perhaps we could find a way of making a database to keep all the info in one place, that would be quite useful aye.

Cheers
Paulm

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doug, a resources page would be ideal really, as within that you can collate all the do's & dont's. In a forum format the advice tends to get lost in a great stream of replies and vital information simply disappears. In the few replies to this topic so far we have a solution to the reverse loop problem & some solid feedback on decoders, it's all positive stuff and eases the mind that the Elite isn't the horrible, incompatible piece of junk that some are trying to make out. The truth is it works, it works quite well in fact & it will fuction with other manufacturers gear as long as you choose carefully.
It's clear that Hornby's DCC is not as perfect as it perhaps could be and those of us that have it may have to deal with some issues .But don't forget that it is relatively cheap for what it is and I think in reality it's not intended for the likes of MMAD and co who's systems really are on a different level and should be superior, why else would you speend 3 times the money??

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gents, we seem to have wandered from the original idea of this thread. If anyone out there is sitting on some useful piece of info they've learned about using the Elite or have found that a piece of kit does or does not work with it jump in and tell us so a list of compatible/non-compatible bits can be established.

It would appear that all the negative comments floating around are putting a few people off the idea of DCC. If MMAD doesn't mind, I'd like to jump on his bandwagon in encouraging the use of DCC, I wont advocate any particular system, but if you have the funds to buy a system I say do it, you wont regret it. Regardless of the brand, DCC offers improvement in performance of loco's, it's dead easy to wire up and it is reliable, most importantly it increases the play value of your layout. I don't want to sound corny but in a word, it's fun.

· Registered
76 Posts
I'm really after some peace of mind with this question but, Does everyone elses Elite make a kind of whistle type noise while it's powered up? mine is quite noisey and I don't have anything else like it to compare with. While we're at it, what about the likes of Lenz & Digitrax, do they make any "don't stick your fingers in here or you'll get a wollop" type noises?
I hope I'm not asking silly questions , but the noise was a little alarming the first time I switched the thing on, it does make it sound like it's doing something, but after years of only barely audible transformer hum from various DC controllers it does have me wondering if it's supposed to do that.

Paul

1 - 4 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.