Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a diesel HO engine (macano brand) It is DC but does also run DCC.. I run it on DC and it runs beautifully but will not start running under its own steam. The only way to get it to go is to put another engine on the track and run it then place the problem engine on the track and it will then run, then take the other one off. Any advice on what the problem Is. cheers PSR.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
... a diesel HO engine (macano brand) It is DC but does also run DCC.. I run it on DC and it runs beautifully but will not start running under its own steam...
Possibly a Mehano? Simple first few steps:

I suggest you start by removing the DCC decoder, inserting a blanking plug, and assess running on DC with no decoder.

The reason for suggesting this is that some decoders are actually not much good on DC, (especially if the controller is a PWM type, because the electronically 'chopped' DC power may fool the decoder into looking for DCC commands) and what you want to know is if the mechanism is problem free without the decoder. (It probably is, since you report good running on DC, once it has got going.)

But if it still doesn't start, does the model have lights? If the lights come on when DC power is applied, but it doesn't start, then look for a poor connection from the main board to the motor. That's a fault that is sometimes overcome when another loco vibrates the track, and the poor connection gets made: once running the model vibration maintains contact most of the time. This is a fault you want to eliminate, as one day the poor connection goes permanently open circuit, and the motor will not run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I suggest you start by removing the DCC decoder, inserting a blanking plug, and assess running on DC with no decoder.

The reason for suggesting this is that some decoders are actually not much good on DC, (especially if the controller is a PWM type, because the electronically 'chopped' DC power may fool the decoder into looking for DCC commands) and what you want to know is if the mechanism is problem free without the decoder. (It probably is, since you report good running on DC, once it has got going.)

But if it still doesn't start, does the model have lights? If the lights come on when DC power is applied, but it doesn't start, then look for a poor connection from the main board to the motor. That's a fault that is sometimes overcome when another loco vibrates the track, and the poor connection gets made: once running the model vibration maintains contact most of the time. This is a fault you want to eliminate, as one day the poor connection goes permanently open circuit, and the motor will not run.
[/QUOTE

Thank you, yes its a Mehano. It does have lights but they only come on when moving not when sitting on track trying to move. cheers mate will look into all you said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, yes its a Mehano. It does have lights but they only come on when moving not when sitting on track trying to move, cheers mate will look into all you said.

·
In depth idiot
7,818 Posts
... It does have lights but they only come on when moving not when sitting on track trying to move...
Ah, that makes the cause clearer. No lights when given power and failing to start indicates no power reaching the decoder socket. Could be dirt on the tyres or pick ups, or a poor connection somewhere in the wiring from pick up to decoder. I'd tend to the poor connection, because the model runs and keeps going once 'agitated' or in motion. These can be something of a pain to track down...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts