Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well do you know, although I have had "my stock" old and new for quite some time, I have found it more or less impossible to "get it together" owing to my shift work and working six and seven days the latter being overtime. But i have never given up collecting and now I am on the threshold of retirement and currently on my retirement leave, at least for another week I have started work on it, hence all the questions I have asked on here since I joined...I apologise if I have annoyed anyone asking questions which to anyone that has been doing the hobby for a long time must sound simple.
Anyway the only thing that has truly amazed me is the price of everything to do with the hobby, I buy a lot of second hand things because for one reason I think they do tend to be better quality, I HAVE got some new stock, and will no doubt as time goes on get more, but I hope to be in this hobby for a long time through retirement and I think this forum is great. It is good to be a member.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (41235 @ 26 Apr 2008, 21:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hence all the questions I have asked on here since I joined...I apologise if I have annoyed anyone asking questions which to anyone that has been doing the hobby for a long time must sound simple.

I don't think you need to apologise at all, I have found your questions refreshing, mainly because they are the sort of queries that other "starters" can relate to.

I have to agree about prices - but if you think Hornby and Bachmann are expensive don't even look at the continental manufacturers.

As my main collection/project is to model British outline HO I have little choice but to buy secondhand, in fact there is only one British outline model currently produced (by Roco) and that is in the livery of Danish State Railways - it's a class 08.

Having said that I hace also decided to model a fictitious BR(S) branch and have started to acquire stock for this - all so far secondhand, but both locos acquired so far (34067 Tangmere and Q1 33006) appear to have never been out of their boxes.

Enjoythe hobby and membership of the forum.

Regards

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't think anyone would moan at 'the same questions' and I think a quick look on here may bring some answers anyway, it seems to be full of advice. The members seem friendly too, unlike some forums I have been on.

The price of models is, I think, increasing beyond the means of the ordinary modeller, largely due to extra features and details. Whilst I welcome the advancement of the detail, do we really need opening drivers doors and such?

Most of my stock is old Lima locos and coaches, some of which I don't think looks 'wrong' and in some cases is still better than the newer models available. The thought of replacing locos for the new £100 models drives me insane.

But I guess I am also glad to see the 'older' designs finding a home at Hornby, I have my eye on some 47s at just £28 ex-set to use as replacement motors for my older ones, as the spares shops have the motors alone at £25-30!

I am looking forward to the arrival of 4 kits trains, which will cost the princely sum of £525, but given the cost of a ready to run model of the trains would probably be about the same price how can I complain? All I have to do is find the seating plans, or atleast work them out!

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 1 May 2008, 11:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The price of models is, I think, increasing beyond the means of the ordinary modeller, largely due to extra features and details. Whilst I welcome the advancement of the detail, do we really need opening drivers doors and such?
I think there are some swings and roundabouts involved too though. Once you have flywheels where do all your older models without them go...on eBay or sold at an exhibition/club etc, then once you have DCC then some of those older/harder to convert models are sold. The people who buy models with DCC sound often become reluctant to buy new models without it and also are more likely to get rid of older models without sound too. People who buy a train with opening doors will forever afterwards think less of their normal 'bog standard' coaches and will be more likely to part with them.

Sorry, I'm waffling as usual, but what I'm trying to say is that new features and details are a key driver of the second hand market, which is dependent not just on old modellers dying and their families not wanting their models but more on people upgrading and so having things to sell. Second hand prices are obviously much lower, and often people are selling models they never actually used for a variety of reasons - too many other favourites to run, not enough decoders to go round, could only drive one train at a time (not true with DCC anymore!), used for dust collecting (display) only etc. etc.

Perhaps finally the 'ordinary modeller' is changing, as those with more money for DCC and sound see a potential the hobby didn't have before and so join in, and those without the money are squeezed out at the bottom, so the ordinary modeller becomes on avarage, 'the man in the car in the street' instead of the 'man in the street' (presumably walking to a bus stop!)

Anyway, my metaphors have gotten the better of me so I shall shut up before I veer further off topic...what was the topic?!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I feel I must aggree, in the World of Model Railways there are the rich, the not so rich and the poor, the latter being the person that would love to get involved and is "bubbling with interest" but simply cannot afford to for various reasons.

But of course it is not only in our hobby where prices have "rocketed", it is general in most things.But since I have had more time on my hands and got involved in buying "stock" for my planned layout, second hand mainly, I am amazed at the prices of new items. It is sad that such a quiet, interesting, inoffensive hobby should be priced in this way.

Still, that is the world today and we have either got to put up with it or dont do it, and there is no way I am giving up now.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Its interesting reading this thread.

The British modeller has not been served well in terms of DCC by the manufacturers. The continental modeller has been playing with it for over 20 years. I will also pass comment that the continental modeller has had close coupling for over 20 years. Personally, I like the look of wagons and locomotives where the buffers are 1mm apart.

This hobby is unique in terms of its make up and what people want out of it. By far the majority of people in it buy and run RTR equipment. At one end we have the small 6x4 layout that has a couple of trains on it and its owner has fun. At the other end we have some huge layouts that has many trains on it, all the bells and whistles and the owner has fun with it. In between are the majority of modellers who funnily enough have fun with it as well.

I am a great believer in that you should purchase what you like. My interests are somewhat eclectic and like BRITHO this limits what I purchase. This is a choice that I have made, that over time has worked well for the layout that I ambuilding.

When you look at the price of models, you need to make some decisions as to what your expectations are. I am pretty certain that when Hornby announce the price of their sound equipped models, there will be much debate as to how much they cost. An ESU sound chip is worth about GBP80. Sure Hornby are going to be able to buy them in bulk a bit cheaper, but based on the European norm, this will add about GBP60 to the price of the locomotive.

Everything is available at a cost. If you want to have working signals, these are going to be a lot more expensive to purchase that if you have non working signals. If you want generic looking locomotives, these are going to be more expensive that scale models, similarly steam locomotives will be more expensive than diesel locomotives. You pay your money and get what you want and pay for.

An interesting aside is that Marklin announce this year a new steam locomotive that is available with and without sound, possibly recognising that not every one wants sound in their locomotives. What would be interesting would be to find out how many they made with sound and how many without. Personally, I would say that the without sound version would be more popular.

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi John,

Could'nt agree more with what you say.

I seem to reacll, some time ago that SK form Hornby said that we would not see factory fitted sound in UK outline locomotives until it could be had for no more that £20. It must be possible with large production runs but what quality ?

Certainly, there seems to be a move towards having a budget/play/hobby range, usually using older tooling & the hobby will be better off for it. I just hope that it will not create snobbery within the hobby. Personally, I have both what you would call "top of the range" & "budget" models running on SL.

Often, when exhibiting SL some of the public have never seen close couplings before & are amazed to learn that European models have had then for many years.

Some of the very best layouts I have seen have been constructed "on a shoestring".

Unfortunatly, model railways have gone up in price, wheras consumer products such as TV's, computers & so on have gone down. There must be other hobbies (such as fishing for example ?) that are going the same way.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
I have been collecting for years, mostly buying weird things that interest me off eBay. I realised the other day that I probably will never build a 1970's South African layout so why on Earth do I have hundreds of Lima South African locos, coaches and wagons.

Within a week I sold 14 lots comprising 21 items and raised enough cash to buy a nice new HDD video camera - as I didn't feel it was right to use forum donation and subscription funds for that

I have much more to sell and I'm looking forward to getting some nice new items to replace the old.

If you have a large collection, it sometimes is wise to rationalise the collection and sell of some items to help finance new purchases.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I also have an eclectic taste in locos and have old BR locos, some continental, some american, some Thomas and some old stuff which is only available (or accessable0 through e bay. I only spend a certain amount so tend to buy faulty stuff and fix it (in most cases) and this keeps the cost down. However, it is an expensive hobby overall as 'tooling up' and getting all the spares is costly overall. Also in Ireland, everything is expensive probably due to our perceived 'strong economy (now faltering)' so I tend to buy from overseas sellers on e bay. Most are in the UK but quite a few in the continent and I tend to like this stuff. I occasionally get new stuff (on significant birthdays from my significant other).

When I do put my layout back together (with Hornby DCC as I have been buying chips for each loco (over time so not one big layout of cash)), it will be an imaginary railway world and this is the real fun. Us railway modellers tend to have great (and sometimes overactive) imaginations. I also make my own sounds (whoo whoo) and act like a kid (with my kid).

Growing up is for others.

On with the fun

Basil

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have used ebay to free up some cash by selling three models but at the end of the day the list of models available for the poorer modeller is less than perhaps it should be.

I sold two DRS 20s and thought about selling my two DRS 37s but decided to part with my GW Sleeper set instead and got a total of £140. For that I could now just about squeeze two Bachmann 57s or possibly two Hornby 60s from the right retailer, or go for secondhand models and maybe get four Lima 60s or 57s

In the long haul, I shouldn't have sold the 20s as I now have three DRS 66s (for £190) that don't like running in multiple, so I need the 37s to pull the FNAs I have built. Time for DCC I think......But wait, that'll cost an arm and a leg............

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 5 May 2008, 11:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Time for DCC I think......But wait, that'll cost an arm and a leg............

Maybe not - there are some excellent systems out there for reasonable money. Decoders used to be the problem, cashwise if you had a large amount of locomotives to convert, but now there are some excellent decoders around for around a tenner each (TCS & Bachmann come to mind).

Have a read up on the DCC section to help you make a good choice of what to get (or rather not to !).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts