Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't think anyone would moan at 'the same questions' and I think a quick look on here may bring some answers anyway, it seems to be full of advice. The members seem friendly too, unlike some forums I have been on.

The price of models is, I think, increasing beyond the means of the ordinary modeller, largely due to extra features and details. Whilst I welcome the advancement of the detail, do we really need opening drivers doors and such?

Most of my stock is old Lima locos and coaches, some of which I don't think looks 'wrong' and in some cases is still better than the newer models available. The thought of replacing locos for the new £100 models drives me insane.

But I guess I am also glad to see the 'older' designs finding a home at Hornby, I have my eye on some 47s at just £28 ex-set to use as replacement motors for my older ones, as the spares shops have the motors alone at £25-30!

I am looking forward to the arrival of 4 kits trains, which will cost the princely sum of £525, but given the cost of a ready to run model of the trains would probably be about the same price how can I complain? All I have to do is find the seating plans, or atleast work them out!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have used ebay to free up some cash by selling three models but at the end of the day the list of models available for the poorer modeller is less than perhaps it should be.

I sold two DRS 20s and thought about selling my two DRS 37s but decided to part with my GW Sleeper set instead and got a total of £140. For that I could now just about squeeze two Bachmann 57s or possibly two Hornby 60s from the right retailer, or go for secondhand models and maybe get four Lima 60s or 57s

In the long haul, I shouldn't have sold the 20s as I now have three DRS 66s (for £190) that don't like running in multiple, so I need the 37s to pull the FNAs I have built. Time for DCC I think......But wait, that'll cost an arm and a leg............

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks Brian, I'll have a look but even at a tenner it could be quite expensive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts