Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi John,

Could'nt agree more with what you say.

I seem to reacll, some time ago that SK form Hornby said that we would not see factory fitted sound in UK outline locomotives until it could be had for no more that £20. It must be possible with large production runs but what quality ?

Certainly, there seems to be a move towards having a budget/play/hobby range, usually using older tooling & the hobby will be better off for it. I just hope that it will not create snobbery within the hobby. Personally, I have both what you would call "top of the range" & "budget" models running on SL.

Often, when exhibiting SL some of the public have never seen close couplings before & are amazed to learn that European models have had then for many years.

Some of the very best layouts I have seen have been constructed "on a shoestring".

Unfortunatly, model railways have gone up in price, wheras consumer products such as TV's, computers & so on have gone down. There must be other hobbies (such as fishing for example ?) that are going the same way.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 5 May 2008, 11:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Time for DCC I think......But wait, that'll cost an arm and a leg............

Maybe not - there are some excellent systems out there for reasonable money. Decoders used to be the problem, cashwise if you had a large amount of locomotives to convert, but now there are some excellent decoders around for around a tenner each (TCS & Bachmann come to mind).

Have a read up on the DCC section to help you make a good choice of what to get (or rather not to !).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts