Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A problem has reared its head no doubt for poliss as well
with the big boy how do i turn it round on the layout with the atlas turntable i have .... only around 7'' diameter the big boy is over ten inches long

The Walthers 130'' is far too much money and so i thought about converting the one i have but where do i get a thin light disc around 11 inches in diameter to add on top of the turntable

The motor can be mounted under the board as it slides out easily with its mounts from the turntable base.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 21 Oct 2008, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

A problem has reared its head no doubt for poliss as well
with the big boy how do i turn it round on the layout with the atlas turntable i have .... only around 7'' diameter the big boy is over ten inches long

The Walthers 130'' is far too much money and so i thought about converting the one i have but where do i get a thin light disc around 11 inches in diameter to add on top of the turntable

The motor can be mounted under the board as it slides out easily with its mounts from the turntable base.

*** Remember 12" LP records? A cheap low cost turntable as used to be put into cheap record players will have the bearing, top and diameter you would need - there's bound to be the odd one crop up in second hand stores and fleamarkets.... Other wise a low cost "lazy susan" or similar will have the same possibilities.

Or... at 11", you are pretty close to an HO sized Turntable....

Personally I prefer Zmils solution though - a wye as I'm pretty sure 130 foot turntables were few and far between on the prototype.

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 22 Oct 2008, 01:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*** Remember 12" LP records? A cheap low cost turntable as used to be put into cheap record players will have the bearing, top and diameter you would need - there's bound to be the odd one crop up in second hand stores and fleamarkets.... Other wise a low cost "lazy susan" or similar will have the same possibilities.

Richard
I had a mental picture of the Big Boy going round at 45rpm after reading that.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 21 Oct 2008, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had a mental picture of the Big Boy going round at 45rpm after reading that.

lets hope nobody finds the 78 rpm switch Neil

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 21 Oct 2008, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick

So one big loco and now you need a new turntable , You could probably modify a HO turntable

or set up a 3 way junction (3 points) with a reverse module or a reverse loop with a reverse module

Regards Zmil

Maybe i'm being thick here Zmil but i cant visualise the three way points
.... and would it be a nightmare to wire up
The area i have to sort it is limited at one end of the board ( 2ft 6 wide X 15'' long ) away from the main layout

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 21 Oct 2008, 23:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe i'm being thick here Zmil but i cant visualise the three way points
.... and would it be a nightmare to wire up
The area i have to sort it is limited at one end of the board ( 2ft 6 wide X 15'' long ) away from the main layout

This Google Map shows a Y Junction at Sittingbourne. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=e...d+sittingbourne Just to the left of the 'A'.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Nick

The consequences of buying your hearts desire!

The Wye junction would be wired with a reverse module on one of the tracks - However normally the length of the
Isolated section should be the length of your longest train - So it would be for loco's only in this case

Here is what I mean , The track does not quite meet up at the bottom ( I used Anyrail with Kato unitrack) 10cm grids

Red lines show where to Isolate (both rails)
The Isolated section should be wired through the reverse module and points the usual treatment (I only use toy Points - no modification - so I wouldn't know about the wiring you would need for the Kato)

You can add the "wye" at the end of one of your curves

Hope this Helps

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi Zmil,
Now it is all clear as to the track the feed into the bottom right hand corner of the drawing would come from the front line of the board in my pic on the previous post, i have marked your drawing with the red&black wire positions as they would approach it now where do i go from here with regard to where the different coloured track feeds should go and how to wire the reverser in, i'm using peco code 55 track with electrofrog points

Attachments

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Nick

The isolated section receives its power from the output of the reverse loop module (same as the bridge of your turntable)
The input of the reverse loop module is connected to your Black and Red (track or Bus)
Points are wired the same as per normal operation

Regards Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 22 Oct 2008, 10:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick

The isolated section receives its power from the output of the reverse loop module (same as the bridge of your turntable)
The input of the reverse loop module is connected to your Black and Red (track or Bus)
Points are wired the same as per normal operation

Regards Zmil

***There is no need to go to the expense of a reverse loop module, and there is a much better way of breaking up a wye which has one stub end so the "same as longest train" problem in a leg between two turnouts does not apply. See the modified drawing.

Doing it this way will make it easier to manage and cost far less $$ wise.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

Some how , I always find the expensive way of doing things

Richard's plan makes more sense , as you would have to change points anyway to head in the opposite direction

My original plan (not labeled sufficiently) the Stub track was to the bottom left to fit in with Nicks outside curve at the end of the Layout -special Big Boy Parking area

Regards Zmil

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Zmil/Richard,

*** Richard the way you have shown is of course better but i am not up to DPDT switches being electrically challenged
the right and top lines are to be stub tracks. the bottom right to feed the wye from the main track.

I did find a wiring diagram for a wye i have altered here, the auto reverse unit connected at the top line and on to the main bus the wires coming down, the diagram as it is here will be the way it is on my board.

Attachments

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 22 Oct 2008, 16:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Zmil/Richard,

*** Richard the way you have shown is of course better but i am not up to DPDT switches being electrically challenged
the right and top lines are to be stub tracks. the bottom right to feed the wye from the main track.

I did find a wiring diagram for a wye i have altered here, the auto reverse unit connected at the top line and on to the main bus the wires coming down, the diagram as it is here will be the way it is on my board.

*** It will work well as you have drawn it nick.

My way wasn't so much "better" than using an autoreverser... really its just a different approach... the track gaps as I (and you) have drawn them are simply better operationally than the original (which was also 100% OK electrically, and would be the ONLY answer if all 3 legs of the wye rejoined the layout somewhere) and my suggestion of an (automated) DPDT arrangement was simply made as a way of saving you most of the cost of an electronic autoreverser.....

However the 2 wire in, 2 wires out of an autoreverser is definately an easier task for you to wire, so just do it the way you are comfortable with, because being comfortable and staying relaxed is also important in a hobby!

Richard

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Many thanks for all the input here from you all .... it really does show what we can do to help each other out.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I tried the wye on the extended board and i'm just short on it working with the big boy
so out with the modified turntable a large dinner plate to cut out the plasticard base just over 11 1/4 inches in diameter leaving some space at the side for some storage sidings, with an engine house at the rear.

The plasticard mounted on plastruct beam and on to the original turntable the power taken from the track on the orginal up to the new track.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Y you show at Sittingbourne is and was not there to turn engines
this was the junction from thr Medway > Margate line going through Sittingbourne
and the Gillingham > Queenborough Sheerness line (Direct)

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 20 Posts