Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
You asked.... Can anyone tell me if the have this DCC system and how good it is eg user friendly. Any reviews I can have a look at.

Hi Martin

Its very competent certainly, and a good product overall but not more so than NCE or Digitrax, and to me anyway. it is far less user friendly than NCE for example.

Lenz have not updated the software for a long time, and almost seem to have lost interest in developing DCC further as they are off on an O scale tangent right now... but even so, if second hand be sure you have the one with the latest updates.

Unless its being offered as a set don't bother with the power supply - there are better and more stable power supplies at less dollars.

Given the fact that price for all 3 is very close...

My personal preference for the "Handset" brands NCE #1, equal second = Digitrax and Lenz.

The computer interface for Lenz is a bit more exxy than digitrax, NCE has a serial port in the black box.

I do have it at a good tight price ex stock if U decide to go for it (both Lenz Set 100 and interface)

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Good call Martin - I had wondered why U were thinking of the Lenz

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Martin - You asked: One question Dynamics wireless can I use this with the Ecos controller?

This answer is to you, but I posted it on list as I think that many retailers just recommend whatevers their best profitability product wise and too many modellers make the mistake of buying based on the pictures and the experience rather than properly matching the gear to their own specific needs and their operating style... hope U don't mind.

*** Will Dynamis work with ECOS. Re protocols, possibly but doubtful - re wireless almost certainly not - But I'd be delighted to be wrong... however, until its in my hands, I can't be certain.

If wireless is a big issue for you then it might be better to drop in, sit with me and have a coffee or a coke in the next week or two -
there really are other very competent options that will give you some excellent results.

Personally depending on final operating concept/preferences I'd be very happy with ECOS, NCE, Digitrax, or probably the Dynamis is it delivers up to all its promises, each will have good and bad points and each will have a different set of unique benefits, depending on how you want to run the railway.

Worth an hour of chat as its a big investment - and a good choice is the difference between a good experience and a terriffic one!
Bring a layout concept plan when U come so we can really think it through properly, modeller to modeller.

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Ravenser:
The Powercab is appx 1.7 amps, and is at least a proper DCC system with all the features of a full system unlike the non-compatible Select - however the more recommendable system for Martin would be the NCE Powerhouse Pro - a full 5 amps and still a reasonable cost... and is now the system of choice for most large clubs in USA now as its ergonomically excellent, universally understandable and very full featured.

Neil / Piotr:
The Lenz software upgrade is in actual fact part "fix" for some quirky issues with the LH90 handset and part bringing it to be able to handle a few more functions. It is not a system upgrade as such, just a "controller fix"

My comment:
System wise, Lenz have certainly dropped the ball evolution-wise and sadly they are doing little to maintain or upgrade their primary DCC systems, which are now falling behind slowly but steadiy.

The Lenz Set 100 is still a competent system, but there are many well ahead of it for usability, understandability and features.

Having said that, the issues of change and "fix" that ECOS goes through is not the same as for other systems. ECOS is a software based "TRAIN PDA" which has evolutionary patches and changes needed like a windows computer etc... whereas others such as NCE and Digitrax are PROM based systems, which are fully "proven" when released.

Therefore to answer Neils comment... Frequency is irrelevant, the need varies based on system type!

Of all the systems out there, to me the ECOS is currently the best of the console based systems, the NCE PowerHouse Pro the best of the hand helds, although the DIgitrax Super chief comes close. Dynamis may fall in the middle, being theoretically both potentially. Hornby aren't even quite on the right planet yet, but probably (I hope) will be soon as lite gets its "fixes".

BTW I love the NCE because its so instinctive and the screen communication so clear in plain english that you almost never need to refer to the manual ever again once you've got it installed and underway - yet it ahs all the features you can expect from a top end unit....most other systems end up with dog eared manuals from frequent use!

I really do appreciate the "evangelism" of ECOS owners - As a model railway technocrat I love it too - however it should be realised that in reality, a truly DCC compatible quality system of any brand will drive the trains well.

Therefore when it comes to decision time, ergonomics are at least as important as the electronics, and so there will be some who should buy one brand, some the other, because they way the system is operated will dictate the "user comfort" with the system, NOT the length of the feature list, which is to me, largely a distraction from the most important decision points!

And they are - "Does it do what I ask, and is it comfortable and a pleasure for me to use".

Everything else is either a bonus or redundant!

Richard
DCCconcepts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.