Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my dcc locos have no problem running the layout..others are stop and go usually stop in non accesssible places. All loco wheels are cleaned regularly,ditto the tracks. Could this be bad decoder?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (PeterHo @ 8 Jan 2007, 23:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of my dcc locos have no problem running the layout..others are stop and go usually stop in non accesssible places. All loco wheels are cleaned regularly,ditto the tracks. Could this be bad decoder?

It's always worth checking that all the pickups are working correctly at both ends of any axel sideplay. Often when on analogue DC (especially with a free running/flywheel model) you will "get away with it" but not on DCC. If the loco loses contact for just a split second the decoder will revert the speed to zero & then start up again causing erratic running. As your problems seem top be in the more remote places pick ups may be the cause.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It sounds like a pickup problem? It could be insufficient pickups on the model or that the pickups themselves are dirty. Something else that could be happening is that the decoder is overheating and the thermal overload is becoming active to protect the decoder. This could be caused by wrapping the decoder in electricians tape or fitting those sleeves that Hornby supply and so limiting the surface area available for cooling. The other thing could be the current load on the decoder. If the current load is to high the thermal overload will become active to protect the decoder. If the models are older ones with open frame motors theses can have a fairly high current draw that may exceed the decoder's rating. The stsop start effect is caused eby the overload resetting so the loco starts again but will stop when the overload becomes active again.

Hope this helps.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (PeterHo @ 9 Jan 2007, 09:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of my dcc locos have no problem running the layout..others are stop and go usually stop in non accesssible places. All loco wheels are cleaned regularly,ditto the tracks. Could this be bad decoder?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would think its definitely pickups causing it. I have this problem with N gauge stuff all the time - they are particularly prone to collecting fluff and dirt. You should be able to work out which pick ups are causing it by running the loco over a series of points - when it stops, check to see which pickup(s) are being relied on at that moment in time - that will be the one(s) causing it.

Other than that it could be a poor connection within the loco, but I reckon its most likely to be the pickups.

Anything else like track issues would cause more or less all locos to act the same way, so it sounds like a loco specific, i.e. pickup issue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts