Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I didn't stop long on the ESU stand. They don't have anyone who speaks English and even their printed matter is all in German.

The Wireless ECoSControl Radio uses 2.4 GHz, another Bluetooth thing. There is no detailed spec at this point. so it is not clear if it is Bluetooth or some other type of system like the Roco wireless device. What was certain is that there was nothing working. All the devices were out of reach. There were a few devices under glass as you see in the photos below.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE The Wireless ECoSControl Radio uses 2.4 GHz, another Bluetooth thing

2.4 GHz is a "free to use" portion of the radio spectrum, in other words you don't have to pay gazzilions of pounds to HMG in order to use it. The result is that you find it in a lot of consumer oriented products like microwave ovens (it's supposed to stay inside them), DECT phones, WiFi wireless, Bluetooth and handsets like the ECoSControl.

David

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that's right. But there is good long-range, multi-frequency, high-throughput, secure 2.4 and then there is short-range, insecure and cheap 2.4...

I hope that this is one of the good ones.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 11 Feb 2008, 07:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, that's right. But there is good long-range, multi-frequency, high-throughput, secure 2.4 and then there is short-range, insecure and cheap 2.4...

I'd be fairly confident of that from ESU. The current wireless control is pretty good.

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE Yes, that's right. But there is good long-range, multi-frequency, high-throughput, secure 2.4 and then there is short-range, insecure and cheap 2.4...

I believe that most of it is down to the antenna. Bluetooth comes in at least two field strengths that I am aware of 3M and 10M.

What you said triggered a memory of the post Neil made and having read the machine translation and the original German, it looks like they claim their new wireless device will work through walls. That suggests they are using "strong" 2.4 GHz.

Perhaps one our German speakers might provide a better translation than the machines for the "Freedom through wireless paragraph"?

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 11 Feb 2008, 09:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe that most of it is down to the antenna. Bluetooth comes in at least two field strengths that I am aware of 3M and 10M.

What you said triggered a memory of the post Neil made and having read the machine translation and the original German, it looks like they claim their new wireless device will work through walls. That suggests they are using "strong" 2.4 GHz.

Perhaps one our German speakers might provide a better translation than the machines for the "Freedom through wireless paragraph"?

David
The current Mobile control is supposed to have a range of 100metres and does work through walls, from the specs provided on this new one it does seem to be the same as the current mobile control but just in a new case.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I wonder are ESU replacing the current mobile control with the proper wireless dynamis or will they offer both? I plan on buying one or the other to go with my ECoS but don't want to make the decision just yet!

Rob

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are some FAQ:

Is the ECoSControl Radio compatible with the 50100 mobile control?

Unfortunately, not. Because of the difference in frequencies the two devices can not work together.

Will the mobile control 50100 continue to be produced?

No. ECoSControl Radio will completely replace the old system. Old stock, however, is still available.

Can I use ECoSControl Radio with other digital systems?

No. ECoSControl Radio is specially designed and developed for use with the ESU ECoS. If another system can connect to ECoS then it can be perhaps used in this way.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 10 Feb 2008, 19:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I didn't stop long on the ESU stand. They don't have anyone who speaks English and even their printed matter is all in German.

The last few times I have been to Nurnberg that was the case also. Interestingly, the product description headers all appear to be in English !

I have found that most of the printed details tend to be German only, whoever the manufacture is.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (80class @ 11 Feb 2008, 08:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wonder are ESU replacing the current mobile control with the proper wireless dynamis or will they offer both? I plan on buying one or the other to go with my ECoS but don't want to make the decision just yet!

Rob

***Wait and try - theyare very different and modellers will have different opinions...

Range wise though there will be no comparison I think... The original is on 488 Mhz - able to have a far greater range than the new model - I have tested it to beyond 100 feet and through commerical concrete walls! the higher frequency of the new one will certainly compromise range a lot... and be affected by room construction and similar to a greater degree - its in the basic the nature of RF that his happens as frequencies rise.

Having handled both dynamis and the original mobile control, the original is a very nice to hold and use "one handed controller" - to me, a much nicer unit ergonomically than the new "dynamis" playstation type look!

I no longer have stock of the full sets but to be honest I'm now very pleased I still have good stock of the mobile control original spare handsets in both ECOS and non-ECOS versions - they will be in high demand very soon - and I'll keep a couple for myself too!

Richard

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 11 Feb 2008, 21:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Wait and try - theyare very different and modellers will have different opinions...

Range wise though there will be no comparison I think... The original is on 488 Mhz - able to have a far greater range than the new model - I have tested it to beyond 100 feet and through commerical concrete walls! the higher frequency of the new one will certainly compromise range a lot... and be affected by room construction and similar to a greater degree - its in the basic the nature of RF that his happens as frequencies rise.

Having handled both dynamis and the original mobile control, the original is a very nice to hold and use "one handed controller" - to me, a much nicer unit ergonomically than the new "dynamis" playstation type look!

I no longer have stock of the full sets but to be honest I'm now very pleased I still have good stock of the mobile control original spare handsets in both ECOS and non-ECOS versions - they will be in high demand very soon - and I'll keep a couple for myself too!

Richard
Sounds like these will be in demand items very soon. I prefer the current one 50100 as it is single handed operation. This means I can control traisn withone hand and do stuff with the other. The "dynamis" one will require two hands.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
QUOTE This means I can control trains withone hand and do stuff with the other
Very ambitious are you planning a juggling act ?, I thought our hobby was supposed to be a stress reducer !

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Feb 2008, 00:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This means I can control traisn withone hand and do stuff with the other.

I'm not going to say what crossed my mind....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts