Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
ESU have now got a revamped website and have announced a new item for 2008.

The ECoS Control Radio.

This may appear familiar to many UK modellers as it has been sold under the Bachmann badge there.

More info is available here.

Here is a translation of what it says;

We should you today is the ideal complement for your ESCU ECoS Digital Central imagine: With the radio, you can ECOSControl locomotives, magnetic, and routes wirelessly via radio control!

Freedom by radio
The ECoSControl radio handset uses advanced wireless technology to communicate with the radio receiver. This is the shaft of your ECoSlot mobile ECoS built and the ECoS with energy.
Due to the modern, fast, bidirectional wireless technology is a reach achieved under normal conditions any time a trouble-free operation of your layout will ensure. Because of the wireless technology has a direct visual contact between the handset and radio receivers be even walls of the radio waves easily overcome without interference from sunlight outdoors or neon lights in the house to be feared.

Ergonomics and function united
If you hand ECoSControl radio receivers for the first time in your hands, you will immediately notice that its design ESUs years of experience in the design of digital controllers hand einfloß: Ergonomically shaped all controls can be achieved immediately, and a large display informs you about your locomotives and magnetic article . The arrangement of buttons and lettering, there is no mystery. The operation is very similar to that of a modern mobile phone.
A unique feature is the joystick, which you operate with your thumb: It controls the speed of the locomotive: The stronger the joystick to move up, the faster the locomotive.
This innovative, ESU developed control concept is even blind to operate perfectly: Your focus on your investment and your trains.

Interaction
ECoSControl radio is perfect for cooperation with the Central Digital ECoS vote: Each ECoSControl radio you can directly on the screen of ECoS locomotives, magnetic, and assign routes. ECoS this data then synchronized with the radio hand controls, so that you no need to enter data locally. All major Lokeigenschaften as Lokname, Loksymbol, soft keys and function stastenart (moment or standing position) will be transferred and correctly.
For magnet and routes will also be the names, addresses and correct symbols.

Taxes locomotives
ECoSControl radio can be up to 100 locomotives control. ECoSControl radio understands course 14, 28 or 128 levels and driving over here at the ECoS for the Lok made settings. It can be any locomotive, also with the ECoS itself bient can be, regardless of data format.
This allows each locomotive up to 20 function keys running, of course, individually as well as permanent features currently configured.

Article magnetic switch
It can be a total of 8 turnout motors the ECoS each with 16 magnetic ECoSControl articles on the radio and running. Obviously, the distinction in two-three-and four turnouts magnetic article fully intact and it is also the correct symbol on the display.

More fun to play
The full graphics, backlit LCD display of the ECoSControl radio keeps you always on the main operating parameters: So you are always the Lokname, Loksymbol, driving the current level (speed) and the state of the function keys. ECoSControl Radio also informs you whether a locomotive from another player was occupied, or whether a sili at the facility was triggered.

Growth
If your model train grows, you can get up to 4 ECoSControl radio handsets at every receiver module. In this way, e.g. Each family member exactly the allotted him control locomotives.

From the specs above this seems to fulfil the same requirements as the Mobile control however having just got a Mobile Control I am not sure what the benefit of this is other than a larger screen and a different hand held format. It differs from the Dynamis is being radio rather than remote control and I see no mention of programming. It does seem odd that they are releasing a new hand held mobile with the same ability as the Mobile Control so soon after the release of the Mobile Control for ECoS but choice is not a bad thing so if you prefer this format, you're in luck. There is a review of the current Mobile Control for ECoS here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The casework, and presumably the screen, are identical to the Bachmann Dynamis yes, but the Dynamis is infra-red rather than radio control.

Clearly the economies of scale are what helped to keep the Dynamis price so low.

Ashley

·
Registered
92 Posts
does anyone know how much this will roughly cost as we are thinking of using it on our layout.

cheers

·
Registered
999 Posts
2008 is fast running out and as far as I can see the ECoSControl Radio has still to be released.

I have found references to it on various german retailers web sites where they are quoting prices of about Euro 180 which very roughly translate into about £150 in UK, but obviously the retailers do not have any in stock.

Anyone got any more up to date info on when it is likely to be released and the UK price?

Keith.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Oct 2008, 14:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>IR or a little further down the spectrum?

*** No, AFAIK its real radio, not IR or similar.

Richard

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I would be very surprised if it was IR.

There previous wireless hand held was no IR. Rather expensive but useful if you have a big layout. But it does chew through the batteries. Running it at an exhibition you get a days running out of it before having to replace them.

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 23 Oct 2008, 17:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>IR or a little further down the spectrum?
We discussed this on another thread a while back. It is radio but a different wavelength from the previous radio control. It is not compatible with the previous mobile control either. You have to use one or the other. It uses the same body as the Dynamis that they make for Bachmann but seems to have much the same display as the previous Mobile Control.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Whilst at the Warley/NEC show last weekend I asked the ESU UK distributors, SouthWest Digital, about the delivery date for ECosControl Radio. The answer was, sometime in 2009 as ESU are badly behind on all new products. So don't hold your breath.

Keith.

·
Boghouse Cleaner
404 Posts
Why does a log in box come up when I view this topic?

"The server root.esu-support.eu at /typo3_loksound requires a username and password."

Pete.

·
Registered
999 Posts
In case you may have missed it on the ESU english-speaking users forum, ESU are alleged to have delayed the release of the ECoSControl Radio again. Instead of being sometime this month, ESU have now said that it is now delayed until the Autumn.

Also looking at the ESU2009 catalogue, if I understnd teh Babelfish translation correctly, it appears that the ECoSControl Radio will be supplied with its own rechargeable batteries and recharger. Whether that means it's going to be a battery-eater, or a way to demonstrate that it is a significantly more up-market product than the Dynamis/ESU Navigator remains to be seen. Given that they've just announced that the ECoS will be available in a new colour screen version I don't think I'm in a rush to get the Control Radio as I can see that getting a colour screen as well eventually. Is that why it's going to be a battery-eater?

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Do you need a license for a radio control unit with approvals from the (national) authorities ?

Would a radio unit be better than Bachmann's infrared communication system ?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BobB @ 4 Feb 2009, 12:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you need a license for a radio control unit with approvals from the (national) authorities ?

Would a radio unit be better than Bachmann's infrared communication system ?

No, these units (& other low power transmitters such as keyfob transmitters) use specially set aside "non-licence frequencies.

Although, in theory radio is "line of sight" it usually works far better than infra red which is, in practice more "line of sight".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts