Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please could ESU Ecos owners let me know how user friendly this unit is? especially with programming and operation of turnouts etc...

many thanks
Paul..

·
Registered
266 Posts
QUOTE (Puzzler @ 28 Aug 2008, 08:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Please could ESU Ecos owners let me know how user friendly this unit is? especially with programming and operation of turnouts etc...

many thanks
Paul..

Easiest system I have ever used including programing /operating points.
A lot of Ecos operation is almost self explanatory.
The only system I know that has brief inbuilt manual for a lot of its operations
Iansa

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I have owned my ECoS for only two weeks and I'm using it on my test track,until my layout is built. I have used it for running and programming locos and find it logical and simple, I haven't used any other systems so can't compare. The other positive is that ESU seem to be constantly adding to the system with upgrades which are very easy to download.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have used roco, hornby, dynamis and lenz equipment in the past. Our layout, Burtonoldbridge, is run with an Ecos as the central control unit and has a digitrax superchief connected to the ecos sniffer just to provide walkabout control through the digitrax DT400 throttles.

That's 6 systems i have experience of and the Ecos is by far the easiest to use and quickest to learn.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started mdel railways following quite a nasty stroke and chose the ECoS. Since that time I have made a good recovery and have found the system to be very easy to use and understand. Believe me with quite a few brain cells destroyed it must be good otherwise I would probably given up in sheer frustration. I use it with 7 switchpilots and am seriously considering going down the Railroad computerisation path.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Nicholas1 @ 30 Aug 2008, 09:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I started mdel railways following quite a nasty stroke and chose the ECoS. Since that time I have made a good recovery and have found the system to be very easy to use and understand. Believe me with quite a few brain cells destroyed it must be good otherwise I would probably given up in sheer frustration. I use it with 7 switchpilots and am seriously considering going down the Railroad computerisation path.

Well, you all obviously love your ECoSes or is it ECoSesy?

Thank you all for the feedback.
Paul..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Although of most interest to people modelling European outline, I recently setup my Ecos to control one of the Marklin Systems Digital Colour Light Signals.

These are quite expensive, at current exchange rates somewhere around 50 to 60 GBP, but they are totally amazing, the lights fade on and off from one colour to another. My particular signal has four possible settings, and I found that the Ecos comes pre-programmed with most of the different signal types, so I picked the icon that matched my signal and that was it.

Now, when you tap the icon of the signal it presents you with 4 pictures of the signal with each of it's possible settigs. You then simply tap which one you want and the signal changes. Brilliant, I played with it for ages. Just wish I could affford more of these signals. There are no wires going up the signal post or on the back of the signal heads. The technology is fantastic.

Although they are of course Motorola format, the Ecos gives you the option of selecting Motorola or DCC for each accessory.
I believe that Viessman (who make these signals fo Marklin) are working on DCC versions, they may already be available.

To summarise, I have used Roco, ZTC, Hornby, Bachmann, and ESU. The Ecos is by far the easiest system to setup, and the most pleasurable to use. For each point type, the Ecos offers you a similar range of icns so that you can see exactly which way you ae setting each point. It is interesting to see that the Viessman Commander System is taking this a stage further by offering a full layout diagram.

I think it is going to be interesting in the future to see if Digital systems become more like PC control software programs like RailRod & Co. or whether people prefer a simpler approach, which can then be linked to a PC if required.

Regards
Ashley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts