Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am using ESU LOKSOUND decoders in my Locos, what is the normal thing to do, leave all the functions on except the whistle or add them when you need them, this then means that you would have to have a list of all the functions for each Loco handy and when you switch from one to another you would have to look at the list? Also is it possible to have the whistle blow when the Loco moves or do you have to do this manually with ESU, this would be good in shunting mode which seems to be F6 with ESU that one I can remember!

Regards

Anthony James

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hi Anthony,

The NMRA has some standards as to what functions should be what.

Personally I have the following

F0 headlights
F1 sound
F2 whistle
F3 other
F4 shunting

One day when I get a real controller I will be able to use a lot more, but the Key in my mind is consistancy.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do, thanks Neil. I gather that all the sounds are in the random generated sound anyway when the Loco s stopped, correct?

Regards

Anthony

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Oct 2008, 05:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some of them are Anthony. From memory there are four random sounds which are selected at the programming stage.

***Random sounds are indeed selected at sound file creation stage. The frequency and type of file should be appropriate to the loco in question.... they need to be chosen carefully and the levels set well - some become B annoying after a while!

Other functions are set to operate with a specific function button at time of programming... some need to be always the same button or features can get lost.

conventions are few, however mst often default on/off is Fn 1 for EU trains, F8 for US trains for example.

I find the biggest challenge is matching the first 9 functions to the owners need -especially when lighting becomes complex as each light function needs a button too!

Functions can be allocated so that a result and a sound ar ematched - for example yes, a whistle can play when a loco moves automatically. Much of this is very complex though, so without a programmer, its very hard.

Richard

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 12 Oct 2008, 12:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Functions can be allocated so that a result and a sound ar ematched - for example yes, a whistle can play when a loco moves automatically. Much of this is very complex though, so without a programmer, its very hard.
Richard

When you say programmer do you mean a computer based visual programming aid? Would that be something like a DecoderPro from the JMRI crew?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

DecoderPro does not have the ability to create sounds projects and assign specific sounds to a F-key or to be played while stationary or played at random (while moving or while stationary). All these different sound effects can be programmed by Lokprogrammer (for ESU deocders) or ZSP (for Zimo decoders), while creating the Sound Project. These programs are proprietary, and use a special gadget to connect your PC to the sound decoders, unfortunately. ESU have the Loksound programmer and ZIMO have the MXDECUP, or you can use the MX31ZL controller (which saves buying an extra gadget).

·
Paul Hamilton aka &quot;Lancashire Fusilier&quot;
844 Posts
I was specifically referring to the matching of a sound to a perticular function ie firebox flicker and sound of coal shovelling for instance. Is that not a function mapping task or is it a programmer task? Interested as I plan to install LokSounds in my tricked out locos to do exactly what we are talking about here so good to know. I know I always have RJ to fall back on but that's not the point is it

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 15 Oct 2008, 09:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All

I would have thought remapping of functions could be done with any (capable) DCC system

Sound file modification would require the ESU programmer though

I could be wrong though
again

Regards Zmil

*** All functions can be remapped but its not quite that simple when the objective is to link Fn and Sound.... even when the sound itself isn't to be changed.

There are several variables.

Which Fn, how the Fn should act (on or momentary), how the sound should act, (on or for what period/how many repeats) , when should it be able to play - when stationery, when in forward, rev or both AND whether the loco needs to be moving to permit the sound/action.

I do this all the time and without the lokProgrammer its a recipe for error, insanity or both.

regards

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Charley Farley Trelawney @ 14 Jan 2009, 18:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Probably a daft question but the Lokprogrammer arrived and has the two pin plug moulded to the power supply; is there a 'correct adaptor to use for UK conventional 3 pin 230-240 volt use? Does a two pin shaver adaptor suit the requirement; If so I can borrow the wife's.

CFT

If the plug is also the power supply then the shaver adaptor is about the only way. The quality varies though so make sure that the plug does not wobble about in the adaptor though. There are some semi-perminant ones around but they don't always fit the european type plugs.

As a matter of interest any electrical appliance sold in the UK for domestic use must, by law be fitted with a standard UK 13a plug (or be supplied with a suitable adaptor) !

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Same here in AU - I usually either delete the OS supply or replace it with an equivalent AU approved supply - However as to the original question, A Brian said a reasonable quality shaver adapter will do fine. ANY 12v regulated DC power supply with 500mA to 1 amp capability is fine.

Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts