Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This might seem like a stupid question but what is the best way to attach etched nameplates without things getting messy?

Cheers,
Rik

·
Registered
334 Posts
QUOTE (RikStar @ 17 Jan 2008, 23:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi everyone,

This might seem like a stupid question but what is the best way to attach etched nameplates without things getting messy?

Cheers,
Rik

Double sided tape for me.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Piemanlarger @ 18 Jan 2008, 09:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Double sided tape for me.

***I usually use the same varnish I use for the clear top coat on the model unless there is a separate bracket or plate to attach it to, when I will use a gel type superglue.

Richard

·
Registered
574 Posts
Use liquid super glue. The excess glue from the gel stuff is harder to clean away then the liquid stuff.

I find a good result can be achieved by lightly attaching a cocktail stick to the front of the nameplate with bluetac. Apply a thin bead of superglue to the back. Position the nameplate onto the loco and hold in place. Then touch a corner of kitchen roll onto any excess glue pushed out from under the nameplate. Don't rub the glue away, let the towel sup it up. After a couple of minutes, the superglue will go off and you can remove the cocktail stick and bluetac.

I've found the excess gel glue harder to remove. You need to let it go off and then carefully pick it off with a knife.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers folks, i was planning on using superglue but didn't know how best to avoid making a mess! Now i know so i have no excuses!

Cheers Again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all

Reviving this topic a bit I guess.

I am using so called Bookbinder's glue. This is a water based white glue that I use for attaching delicate parts on delicate surfaces s.a. glazing, etched nameplates, number or shed plates etc. where you do not want to damage either the item to be attached and/or the area it is being attached too. This glue creates a remarkable strong bond between all kinds of materials, not just paper or card where is made for. It dries reasonably fast, still leaving enough time to correct position of the item and dries clear and virtually invisible. Excess glue can be rubbed off easily and does not leave marks. Needless to say I also use it for building cardkits.

Should be available from a good stationary/book store.

I attached etched name and numberplates to a Bachmann Jubilee this weekend with this type glue, so I thought I let you all know.

Cheers
Jos

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Just a tip I have learned the hard way. When using Superglue there is a risk of the fumes causing a white residue to form on adjacent plastic surfaces. It is best to have a fan blowing across the area to dispell the fumes before they do any damage. Failing that, a hair dryer set on cold would do the trick.

My personal preference is to use 1 minute epoxy.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Superglue, but use a toothpick to smear the back of the plate and also attach a piece of blu-tag on a tweezer to handle/stick the plate:

Erkut

·
Registered
283 Posts
I too use Superglue, but not the gel as this is more globular and if you're not that experienced at applying it, you can easily squeeze out slightly too much, and you might only see it when you locate the nameplate and get more out the edges as you press it lightly into place, making sure it is perfectly straight. Only the tiniest spot is necessary to stick them on, and if you are re-lining too then I'd finish off with a pass of Satin finish clear lacquer to seal it.

But that's only what I do..."a little dab 'l do ya!"

jules

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.