Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to model a UK outline layout in 98'99.
Health problems, had to sell,,, bummer.
Anyway, got out of it and want to do it again (in DCC). So I joined this Forum
for the latest new & info, to catch up.
I see from surfin the UK forums the Hornby Eurostar & Pendolino use the same basic engineering,,, shall I say.
I had a Eurostar back then and it Wiggled-Wobbled down the track.
Poorest train I owned ,awful to watch it run down the track..
So I thought I'd ask you 'grognards...
Do they run better now, did I just have a loser?
I realize they are not the 'leading edge' of UK trains,
but are they passable to own?
I do like the UK modern train theme.
Also (if I'm not over loading my posting) hows the Bachmann
Virgin Voyager quality, running, value for the money,etc.
Nice to know your opinions before I send my hard earned $'s over the Pond ? Haha
TIA. Howard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where to start... the Hornby Eurostar and Pendolino are not the same technology, the Pendo uses a can motor driving two axles, somewhat akin to a Black Beetle motor bogie. They're pretty smooth, though they lack tractive effort. As a model, it's very good, it really looks the business.

The Bachmann Voyager has a can motor with twin flywheels in one of the centre cars, and is very smooth. IMO it pips the Hornby Pendo in value for money stakes as a real train is only 4 or 5 coaches, compared to nine, and per coach cost is about the same as the Hornby Pendo. With a complete train being so much cheaper (purely by virtue of being shorter) and a better mech, it gets my vote on that front. I think the Hornby Pendo is a slightly better model, but the Bachmann Voyager is a good model nonetheless.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Also you may have originally had the HO version of Eurostar which Jouef & Hornby sold. Hornby have now produced their own in OO.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I haven't run my Eurostars for a while, but I remember the GNER one had to be repaired quite quickly, but the proper Eurostar ones I have were fine. I have only run the Hornby Pendelino (4-car) once and it seemed okay,although, possibly because it was the dcc one and I'm currently using DC, the headlights show at both ends!

The Bachmann Voyager is a mixed bag I think, it really depends which one you get! I have five, four 4-car and one 5-car. They all look the part, but the last two I got (Dorset Voyager & Welsh Dragon) run slower than the first three (Maiden Voyager x2 & Michael Palin).

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Bilbo @ 28 Feb 2009, 09:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also you may have originally had the HO version of Eurostar which Jouef & Hornby sold. Hornby have now produced their own in OO.

Yes I have this Hornby Eurostar and I have to say it runs superbly even with eight coaches in it's consist which of course is a lot less than the real one pulls!! It does go like a real Eurostar also.

Kind regards

Paul

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Fishplate @ 28 Feb 2009, 08:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where to start... the Hornby Eurostar and Pendolino are not the same technology, the Pendo uses a can motor driving two axles, somewhat akin to a Black Beetle motor bogie. They're pretty smooth, though they lack tractive effort. As a model, it's very good, it really looks the business.
In the case of the orignal "Hornby" HO Eurostar they are indeed similar, although the HO Eurostar uses a short drive shaft &.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
The pendelino is basic in that it has a poor motor and lacks detail. The finish is alright and it looks good but there are areas that could be improved. The driving car needs to have loads of weight added to assist with traction. Power pick up is an issue too due to the traction tyres limiting the number of wheels that are picking up power from the track. I couldn't recommend the dcc fitted version as that is what I bought and ended up having to cut out the Hornby decoder and refit a Lenz gold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info guys!
Now I feel better with a little knowledge.
I will put these on my wish list..!

G

·
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 1 Mar 2009, 10:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I couldn't recommend the dcc fitted version as that is what I bought and ended up having to cut out the Hornby decoder and refit a Lenz gold.
Hi Neil,

Can you let me know the reason why you retrofitted the Hornby R8215 Decoder for a Lenz Gold?

The reason I ask is that we purchased a DCC fitted Virgin Pendolino set in early 2008 and have only just put it on the rails today (we have been slow to switch over to DCC!) and out of the box, we have noticed that the motor or something associated to the drive mechanism is making quite a mechanical noise at low speed, but I am not sure of the source or reason?

At first I thought it was due to running it on a 2nd radius line that puts pressure on the bogie so I switched it onto a 3rd radius run and even a 4th with the same noise. The noise seems to work it self out as you pick up the pace, but is most certainly evident at the lower end. My next thought is the motor and or decoder?

To date, I have resisted pulling it apart, but my need to do so is making me itch, so any advice is appreciated.

Here is a short video that includes the noise, so I hope you can hear it.

&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&ap=%2526fmt%3D18">[URL=http://www.youtube.com/v/

Whilst it may sound like it is dragging a damaged bogie or a wheel is riding the sleepers, I have double checked the undercarriage and nothing is dragging.
Other than the noise, which takes away from the anticipated delight of running the train, I am reasonably happy with the Pendolino!

Cheers,
Darrell

·
Registered
264 Posts
The grumbling noise is standard when running the Pendo with its own fitted decoders. By the way, they are not R8215, they are Hornby 6 pin decoders.
To cure the problem, I did the same as Neil and removed the Hornby decoders and fitted a Lenz silver. The difference is amazing. (Reading other forums, a lot of people have done this.)

You have to do some soldering, as you have remove the decoder, then cut the wires from the internal socket, and solder the other decoder in after cutting off the plug. Just solder colour to colour and leave the wires not used loose.

AlanB

G

·
QUOTE (alanb @ 6 Jun 2009, 18:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The grumbling noise is standard when running the Pendo with its own fitted decoders. By the way, they are not R8215, they are Hornby 6 pin decoders.
AlanB
Hi AlanB,

Thanks for the info.

I have now had a good look at a couple of forums for the Pendo and as you say, found plenty of information on the topic, including another posting from Neil where he shows his being retrofitted.

Whilst the noise is odd, and possibly exasperated by the fact that on my layout, we are running the tracks pinned directly to a base board with no track underlay or ballast that does provide a little noise suppression, my preference is to have the Pendolino run as quiet as I can.

So, I shall replace the 6-pin Hornby with a hard wired Lenz.

It was my mistake for assuming that Hornby had used an 8 pin, similar to the R8215 or the newer R8249 that have the 8-pin plugs. I had based this assumption on having a few of the Hornby DCC ready locomotives that utilise the 8 pin socket.. Silly me!

Do you know if there is a reason as to why Hornby would use a 6-pin decoder in the DCC fitted variant and then market a DCC ready version that I assume, would have the 8-pin socket ready to plug and play with their standard 8 pin decoders?

Again, many thanks.

Cheers,
Darrell

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
There was quite a lot of discussion about the poor performance with the original decoder at the time it came out. A "bag of spanners" was the term used.

It isn't too bad when running at high speed but low speed is still a struggle for the Pendo with nine coaches .

I weathered mine and it came up very nicely. Another improvement to consider.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
*Thread Resurrection Alert*

Hornby have a firesale on at present on the new liveried Eurostar (and coaches) here http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/eurostar-e300-...k.html?___SID=U

Prices are significantly lower than Rails and Hattons; I have the GNER set and been wanting this since it came out. A recent trip on the new one last week caused me to look again so was well pleased to see this and snapped up a pack with 2x coach packs - free shipping included.

Not everyone's cup of tea I appreciate, but there are sound decoder kits now available and seeing a few clips on YT does really enhance the look. Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts