Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find a suitable supplier for this in the UK and I've found this one on the web - http://www.algeos.com/acatalog/Plain_EVA.html.

But there are so many different types - low,medium and high density, for example. I believe 3mm, medium density, plain EVA foam is the right stuff. Any advice helpful before I buy.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi RFS. That looks like quite a find you've made. I think you're probably correct in going for the medium density.

At those sort of prices I might consider putting a 0.75mm layer of the beige Medium Density EVA over the whole layout and then a 2mm strip of the black Medium Density EVA on top where the tracks run. That would, I hope, solve the age old problem of noise increase once the track is ballasted as there would always be the 0.75mm layer between the ballast and the base board.

All I have to do now is work out how do get some sent out to Dubai.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** As roadbed for 4mm scale 5mm would be the best choice... For N 2~3mm I would think. A charcoal Gray is probably the best choice but it looks like they do not list it. as to density, a medium type, definately not the hard or low density options.

regards

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
RFS,
I didn't know what EVA was, so I did a Google search. It indicates it is used as padding for sports equipment. Do I have this right?
I use extruded polystyrene insulation. It comes in sheets of 4 feet by 8 feet, 1/2 inch thick.
It is very common in Canada due to the climate and its use as insulation. I don't know if it is available in the UK.
Ian

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you use this for track underlay? At half-an-inch thick (c. 12mm) that seems a bit too thick for underlay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RFS,
This is a popular method of mounting track and making scenery in North America. If you get Model Railroader in the UK, most of the project railroads they build use some form of this construction. The foam is used as a base. You can cut a roadbed profile into the foam using an electric cutter which is pulled through the foam. You mount cork roadbed on the foam and the track on the cork.
Since I am building a yard which is basically flat with no elevated right of way, I glued the track directly on the foam. I use a method by David Barrows an American modeller, were all the table surfaces are flat 2 foot x 4 foot "dominos" bolted together and made of 3/4 inch plywood. So I have four dominos bolted together for a 16 foot long yard.
This may not be applicable method of construction in the UK as most North American layouts don't leave home. Since, many UK layouts do, I thought using foam may be a good way to lighten the weight of the layout.
Pardon "railroad" instead of "railway" and the use of Imperial measures for metric. Old habits die hard.
Ian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts