Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya guys,

I'm quite new to dcc and I'm chuffed I've managed to add decoders to all my old locos except the Hornby Evening Star and a Hornby Mallard. These two have stumped me!

Both are old locos with Ringfield Motors in the tender. I can only see one pickup wire instead of the normal two wires which confused me. After browsing the net for info I've gathered that I'd need to insulate something or other in order to chip them. Did'nt really make much sense to me.

Any help/advice/pointers/web links/diagrams/or photos on how to chip them would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

bren

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
If you look at the motor bearing clip which doesn't have a wire attached, you'll find that it is connected electrically directly to the tender chassis. This is the connection you have to break by adding insulation between the clip and chassis. Then you need to take a wire from the chassis to the decoder and another from the decoder back to the clip.

That's all I can help you with as I've not tried to convert either of these. I'm sure there must be diagrams on how to do it somewhere and that someone will be along shortly to post a link

David

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Ahhhh I have just spent the last 20-25 minutes trying to find the link on here where I posted on this subject with some pictures on how it is done. I would upload again but due to my location I cant.

Someone will find it.

Sorry

m

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Brendan, Yes this can be done cos I have done it, trouble is i cant locate my drawing of how its done, i will have a look this evening for you.
I need to know how many wires are coming from the tender pin that connects to the loco? is it one or two.
There may also be a problem with the screws that hold the brush holder to the motor body, or is yours the clip in type? if so no problem.
What can happen if you have scews and dont isulate them you will short out and blow your decoder.
If this ringfield is of an early type, and by that i mean, is the commutator COPPER FACED? if it is then its three pole, and I would suggest a good decoder.
In my case I have changed all my 3 pole motors for 5 pole makes life much easier, and of course better running.
Regards, Leon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Brendan. Found it.
If the pin to the loco connection has only one wire this is how I did it.
The Red wire from the decoder is soldered to the clip on top of the motor body. DO NOT REMOVE this clip its a devil to get back on.
The Black wire is soldered to the pin contact that connects to the loco.
Orange to left brush. Grey to right brush. If all is well but loco runs the wrong way, use CV 29 to change it.
If there are two wires to the loco connection then let me know.
I would strongly suggest you test with a CHEAP Decoder Hornby or Bachman, If you are satisfied with performance then fine. If not then upgrade to ZIMO or TCS.
If the decoder blows then its shorting through the motor body, this is how Hornby grounded the chassis.
Regards, Leon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts