Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work quite close to one of the approaches to Leeds station and am amazed at the number of different colour schemes and livery variations currently working in and out of it. The number has of course exploded since the introduction of Northern Rail in 2004. I have seen examples of the following going in and out of Leeds station.
arriva blue/cream class 142 and 153,
arriva ex northern spirit blue with green N, class 156,
ditto in crimson with gold N, class 158,
ditto with first transpennine express vinyls class 158,
central green class 156 and 158,
first north western blue with gold star class 142,150,156,158
WYPTE old red and cream class 155 and 321
WYPTE new red and grey class 144 and 158
Silverlink green and purple class 321
northern rail/arriva/metrotrain crimson with greyN class 333
Northern rail lilac and grey (3 different variations)
GNER dark blue or is it black? class 43,91,373 eurostar
GNER eurostar white
Virgin trains silver/red class 220 or 221
Midland mainline teal green and orange stripe class 43
ditto new livery class 43
ditto unbranded virgin trains class 43
network rail new measurement train mucky yellow class 43
various operators Regional railways class 142, 150, 158
EWS red and gold class 37,60,66,67(gner thunderbird duties)
Mainline blue class 37,60
mainline 3tone grey class 60
freightliner green/yellow class 66
GBRF blue with union jack class 66

There may be some i have forgotten but its a pretty impressive list of colour schemes none the less. The pick of the workings in and out has to be the class 37 hauled service as it eas timed into Leeds from Knaresbrough at the time i usually queue to work so I saw it on numerous occasions during its time and not always with the allocated loco's hauling it.The surprise is that out of that lot the only ones not made or planned for rtr are the 144,153,321and 333. Hmm that has got me thinking again.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could've sworn i saw a first glimpse of something running in First livery similar to the colours used on great Western. Could this be the new Transpennine class 185? I believe one or two are over here. Typically i only caught a glimpse of it due to queueing in the wrong place this morning by the time i was running parallel to the approach lines it was long gone. Still maybe tomorrow eh?
The most impressive sight i've seen around Leeds was a Midland Mainline HST heading out of Leeds powering up it kicked out so much clag it obscured Armley gyratory completely!! The smoke didn't clear for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK now i know i've seen a new class 185. Doesn't look anything like i imagined it to (kind of like tube stock) but i was stuck in traffic at an odd position and by the time i'd got to the side of the lines into Leeds atation it'd disappeared. In the dusk light it looked pale blue with bright red doors and wasn't hanging around either.

·
Registered
213 Posts
S/b:

What is even more remarkable about this is that you can construct all but one of the non-RTR locos/stock- 321=Bratchell (on special offer at the mo'), 144= DCK, 153= Dapol/Honrby+Hutst models.

The only thing ye canna do is the 333...

A few years ago, in Saaf London, it was possible to see:
Connex: Cl. 421, Cl. 423, Cl. 455, Cl. 456, Cl. 508, Cl. 205, Cl. 207, Cl. 319
Slam-door Southern: Cl. 421, Cl. 423
Sliding Southern: Cl. 455
NSE: Cl. 421, Cl. 423, Cl. 456, Cl. 455, Cl. 411
NSE based SWT: Cl. 421, Cl. 423, Cl. 411, Cl. 455
Silverlink: Cl. 313
New SWT: Cl. 442, Cl. 444, Cl. 158, Cl. 170, Cl. 159
Suburban SWT: Cl. 450, Cl. 455
Thameslink: Cl. 319 (Note: there are/were around three variations of Thameslink which one could see!)
Daycare ads: Cl. 319
EWS: Cl. 66, Cl. 67
GBRf: CL. 66, Cl. 73
Fragonset: Cl. 33, Cl. 73
Wales/West (Alphaline): Cl. 158
Steam: Tangmere, 73096
Charter stock (either behind train, or in CS)

Not quite as much as Leeds, but you could see it all at Clapham Junction/CS!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm surprised no one like Bratchells have done the 333 or the heathrow express version. I know its a bit of a niche market but the 321 and other similar types were too.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not from Bratchells though far too expensive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 3 Apr 2006, 18:09)I'm surprised no one like Bratchells have done the 333 or the heathrow express version. I know its a bit of a niche market but the 321 and other similar types were too.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that's because the 332/333 was even more limited. I mean, unless you were modelling the Heathrow line (for which you'd now also need a 350) or West Yorkshire 1998-plus (beautiful though it is!) layout, you don't really have a big customer base. The Mk. 3 bodyshell can be used for 150s, 321s, 319s, 317s, 320s, 322s, 455s, 456s, 210s (!), and 316s (!), with all sorts of combos from this, although Bratchell have yet to exploit this rich seam of EMU gold!

Kind Regards,

RM

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Matbe one for DC kits to consider being as how its a local emu for him. He seems to do a good range of older emu's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 4 Apr 2006, 17:40)Matbe one for DC kits to consider being as how its a local emu for him. He seems to do a good range of older emu's.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think one of the problems would be that the unit is so different from anything DCK has made before that they couldn't reduce tooling costs, and it has limited appeal so it would be hard to justify. Charlie Petty has done tones of heritage units 'cause he needs about five different cabs, mix and match suburban and low density sides and away he goes- hundreds of different individual units. That's one of the reasons why DCK units are like buses- three get released in the same month or so because they are just 2/3/4 car units, one with a lav, one without- that sort of thing.

Also, the front end would be quite hard to recreate accurately- curves are hard to reproduce! You could always contact him, and suggest a pre-order type scheme- either "Enough orders by X or no production" or "Wait until costs break even before any research/tooling etc."

Still, getting back on track, the MoD at Shoeburyness used to have lots of schemes- all E/DMUs apart from intrusive locos for scrap or storage trains and the lone MoD shunters, but you could see green 101s, SWT 421s, FGE 312s and almost every livery (1986 onwards) that 101s, dc slammers and ac slammers carried plus a variety of loco-hauled Mk. 1s and 2s in a veritable rainbow of colours!

Kind Regards,

RM

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd think it would be ideal for dc kits especially after bachmann pulled the rug out from under him with the class 150. Also seems to be holding off on the blue pullman stock too, maybe either knows something we don't or doesn't want to get stiffed twice. I thought the class 150 was shorter in length than the mk3 coaches.

·
Registered
213 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 4 Apr 2006, 21:37)I'd think it would be ideal for dc kits especially after bachmann pulled the rug out from under him with the class 150. Also seems to be holding off on the blue pullman stock too, maybe either knows something we don't or doesn't want to get stiffed twice. I thought the class 150 was shorter in length than the mk3 coaches.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, the units I mentioned are shorter than Mk. 3 length, but are of similar construction. I understand Charlie Petty delayed tooling of a Blue Pullman because a rival manufacturer are supposed to be doing one (Inter-city models I think).

However, I'm afraid that it looks like Charlie Petty won't do a 333/332 for reasons I mentioned above. You could contact him though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts