Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For an age I have been desperate to get hold of an EWS N Gauge 08 shunter like this one...

Now I know they are not still available new, but have you seen the second hand prices. I am of course referring to the glorious e-bay. It is quite common for them to reach over £40. Now being a bit of a tight wad I do think that's a bit excessive.

I recently bought a weathered, new green 08 for £30 so come on!?!?!??!?!!??!

Now I am not trying to prompt another thread on e-bay theories and thesus' but can any one explain rationally their apparent rareity and value?

Right.Rant finshed!!

Best wishes all
Jules

·
Registered
72 Posts
I remember when I was into N gauge modelling, I was also after an EWS shunter. At the time, there were about 1 or 2 EWS class 08's for sale on eBay at any one time. This was about 2 years ago and they were going for about £40 then. I payed £43 for mine, and subsequently sold it for £40, 2 years later! Bidding was phenomenal I seem to recall.

There apparent rarity must just be down to a short production run in this livery. I might be wrong, but what other explanations are there? This unforntunately means, by the laws of supply and demand, makes the EWS shunter that bit more expensive.

Just had a quick look on eBay and there are none for sale, so there you go. If it's any consolation, my GF class 08 is was absolute bag o sh*te regards detail, paintjob and running quality....it was also a Bachmann made in China version, which I expected to be better.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Now I am not trying to prompt another thread on e-bay theories and thesus' but can any one explain rationally their apparent rareity and value?

I don't mean to be a show off but I managed to get hold of one off ebay in ews for £20.00 delivered from the usa. I don't think the seller knew what he had.

With regards to the reason behind it being so expensivley priced it was because they only did a limited run of them possibly because it was not a good seller at the time so if you can get hold of one then keep hold of it as they are as you already know like gold dust and after speaking to someone at Graham Farish there isn't another EWS liveried one in the pipe line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts