Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard from a reliable source that DB are sending three-quarters of the EWS class 66 fleet to Europe. All class 66 will be rebranded but not repainted.

There is talk that they will be reinstating class 56 and class 58 locos. Also it appears th\t DRS are selling 10 of their class 66's because they have no work for them. 5 to Freightliner and 5 to a new company starting up.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Aren't Freightliner already running 66's in Poland? Polski Freightliner (PFL) I believe.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

There have been rumors surrounding the Class 56's and 58's for quite a while but that's all it is. The fact is that EWS are in a position that allows them to to commit up to 60 of their UK Class 66 fleet for their operations in France. Even after the arrival there of a brand new dedicated fleet of Class 66's the company believes that UK Class 66's will continue to be sent there such is the increase of work in Europe. Especially so now that EWS is owned by DB

Here the reality is that for a combination of reasons be it loss of flows, contracts, securing a leaner business called squeezing the assets plus of course major competition from other operators EWS can afford to send locos abroad. However one benefit from this has been the resurgence of the Class 60 fleet with many being returned to service over past months. There has been talk that DB may well fund the re-enginning of the Class 60 fleet but time will tell. Furthermore, DB seem to have a much more enthusiastic approach to their new UK operations with talk of really going all out for new business

For the cold storage Class 56 and 58 locos it is extremely doubtful that any will return under EWS ownership

I hope this helps
Cheers
Bob

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Surely prt of the reason DB/EWS can release a large number of 66's for continental work has to come down to the fact that there are now so many UK operators using them.

As an aside I really fancy the idea of running an EWS liveried, DB branded (cargo or railion?) on St Laurent (Yes Brian I know I will have to buy it!)

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 2 Apr 2008, 17:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As an aside I really fancy the idea of running an EWS liveried, DB branded (cargo or railion?) on St Laurent (Yes Brian I know I will have to buy it!)

Regards

About as much chance as gordon brown sticking to his word & letting us have a referendum on europe !

·
Registered
894 Posts
QUOTE (lew @ 2 Apr 2008, 07:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have heard from a reliable source that DB are sending three-quarters of the EWS class 66 fleet to Europe. All class 66 will be rebranded but not repainted.

There is talk that they will be reinstating class 56 and class 58 locos. Also it appears th\t DRS are selling 10 of their class 66's because they have no work for them. 5 to Freightliner and 5 to a new company starting up.

The first ten DRS 66s are off lease this year and will be returned, but they are getting more 66s as they absorb the Victa Westlink 66s on order.

I think DB see the 56s and 58s as a resource, rather than EWSs 'they're old, lets dump them so no-one else can use them' view.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 29 Apr 2008, 11:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think DB see the 56s and 58s as a resource, rather than EWSs 'they're old, lets dump them so no-one else can use them' view.
Some DB locos are quite old, but have been refurbished & still giving sterling service. Just because a locomotive is old does not mean it has to be dumped or no longer used.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 29 Apr 2008, 10:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think DB see the 56s and 58s as a resource, rather than EWSs 'they're old, lets dump them so no-one else can use them' view.

Didn't EWS sell/lease some of the 58 fleet to the Dutch Railways? I seem to remember reading this somewhere in the past 2/3 years.

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 29 Apr 2008, 18:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Some DB locos are quite old, but have been refurbished & still giving sterling service. Just because a locomotive is old does not mean it has to be dumped or no longer used.

That wouldn't be, for example, the 215/6/7/8 family by any chance would it?

As a matter of interest the oldest diesels operating with the TOC's ore the 08s. I think the reason that 56s and 58s were mothballed/stored/withdrawn (take your pick!) was due to high unavailability and lack of spares.

Regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts