Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I got a Hornby exGWR 101 0-4-0 (R2451) and it's in the LSWR livery, can anybody give me some links to information sites on the Locomotive and the LSWR company? Im trying to learn th history of the Loco and the company.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's a fictitious livery of course[on this loco] ...
,like every one that they've applied to this loco..[except GWR green,of course,-but even then-I think the prototype was plain green without the 'Great Western' lettering..]

The Hornby model body-wise is quite accurate,-compare it to the plans in the J.H.Russel book...-but it is such an obscure prototype [I'm relying on memory here,-so may not be 100% accurate]being built in 1901 as an experimental loco [oil firing
] and scrapped in 1909,and spending a lot of that time at Swindon,that is really of no practical use on a layout...although I think it was trialled briefly on the Blagdon branch..

You can't even say it's "a typical industrial shunter"*[a phrase beloved by the modelling press],because it doesn't even remotely resemble anything else..

*Ooooh,-I hate that term!
,- there's no such thing!,-Industrials need to be modelled accurately!!

So much for the Hornby model,-with regards to the London and South Western Railway,there's no shortage of stuff out there in books,and I've just Googled it and it comes up with over 5 million references,-so that should keep you busy for a while...

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE The Hornby model......is really of no practical use on a layout

Just because a loco has a fantasy livery does not mean it is not a top seller!

What does this say about the typical railway modeller?

There are probably a very small minority of modellers who actually care about whether a loco is of practical use and a very large majority who care about whether a loco looks nice or not!

Smokey Joe is the top selling loco of the last 25 years....

Lets not be critical of those locomotives which are not strictly prototypical but look nice as those modellers who wish to create their own world and don't wish to follow any particular prototype probably outnumber those who do!

When you think about it Triang became very successful at the expense of Hornby Dublo on the back of selling fantasy product for the first 10 years of the companies life and whilst the market has changed Hornby have not forgotten its roots and long may they continue to produce fantasy liveries.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
370 Posts
DS is certainly correct in what he says about GWR 101. It was an experimental oil fired loco ( in my case from memory too ) and I believe it to be true that it was in use on the Blagdon branch in 1902, although I have no photographic evidence.
My advice to Trav is "use it on any GWR branch line as long as you are not modelling an historically accurate, time set location, as it looks the part. "If it looks right, it is right",
Enjoy running it and amaze your non railway friends with your in-depth knowledge of your stock!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very good point there Gary. and i must say this little loco would have to be one of my favourites, . I know where im going to place it now, in a shunting yard and small branchline trains, how does that sound?
My favourite is my BR 0-6-0 4F. runs beautifully.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
its your layout and you can run what you like on it!
if i had to stick to a particular place and time period i would only be able to run about 3 of my locos together at any one time. i have about a hundred!
and many of those are prototypes "that is really of no practical use on a layout". but i like them and its my layout.
if you restrict yourself to an area or time period then there are so many wonderfull loco's and coaches that you could never run.

if you like it then why not.

Peter

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well said Pedro, I would rather have a layout that runs well and looks good scenically, with no prototypically correct locos, than one that has every loco correct, looks crap and has constant running problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe I should have quantified it when I said the loco was of 'no practical use on a layout',- I was refering to a layout based on historical accuracy and realistic operation,-I was assuming [perhaps wrongly] that as Trav was asking for :
QUOTE links to information sites on the Locomotive and the LSWR company? Im trying to learn the history of the Loco and the company.
That he was trying to add some fidelity to the prototype into his modelling
...of course,-you can run what you like on your layout,-after all,-it's your layout.....

QUOTE Just because a loco has a fantasy livery does not mean it is not a top seller!
QUOTE Smokey Joe is the top selling loco of the last 25 years....

That's because they are supplied in the cheap,entry-level trainsets,aimed at the kiddies and newbies,-believe me,-they don't sell that well as individually boxed locos [where I think they're over-priced]!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE I was refering to a layout based on historical accuracy and realistic operation
What's that?

I'm with Peter. I've seen it done both way and people in the States can get very rigid sometimes.That's why I'm building my own layout as well. I like realistic operation up to a point but as far as choosing a specific place and time I just can't restrict myself there.

From what I understand what Doug does is just clear the track and have different operating sessions.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well I have the same problem. How do run English, Australian and American on one layout. Well when I'm alone I run what I want but eventually when I get round to operation I'll be running specific sessions ie: English one week , American the next etc. The purist modellers seem to turn up there noses when you tell them you model three different countries with differing philosophies on how a railway ran, equipment used, types of signalling and so on. I've found many of the rivit counting Australian modellers look at you in shock when you mention Garrett and Y6B in the one sentence. It's your layout and you can run what you want.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Dennis David @ 26 Jul 2006, 11:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What's that?

I'm with Peter. I've seen it done both way and people in the States can get very rigid sometimes.That's why I'm building my own layout as well. I like realistic operation up to a point but as far as choosing a specific place and time I just can't restrict myself there.

From what I understand what Doug does is just clear the track and have different operating sessions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also own some American diesels, like two GP38 lo noses one in santa fe and one in Australian national. I have two F7's one Santa Fe the other Aus national, and I have one other diesel, but i cant remember what it is off the top of my head but it's a big american thing. and i'll run them when i feel like it because they make up most my rolling stock with the american carages

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry I joined in on this one! Now I've got an excuse to buy some American and continental outline stock! (thanks to Ozzie & co.)
Hope I get problems finding what I like in OO scale!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You should like, Britannia's, Duchesses, Princesses, Black Fives, 8F's, 9F's, Crabs, Jinties,Rebuilt Merchant Navys, WC and BoB and Unrebuilt MN, WC and BoB, Arturs, Schools, S15's, Kings, Castles, Manors, Halls and Counties, A1's,A2's,A3's,A4's, V1's,V2's and v3's and any standards. Then there's America, N&W J's, Y3's and Y6B's, C&O H8's, H7's,.H6's J1and 2's, K3's and K3A's, K4's, J3's and J3A's and Hudsons. Anything from B&O and PRR and Espee and NYC. And NOTHING with UP on the side. Yep that about covers all of the ones I've got except for my Aussie ones. Boy this is a fun hobby!!

Ossie21

QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 27 Jul 2006, 18:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry I joined in on this one! Now I've got an excuse to buy some American and continental outline stock! (thanks to Ozzie & co.)
Hope I get problems finding what I like in OO scale!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good God Ossie, to get all those listed, I'm going to need to win the national lottery -- again!
Plus a new larger house to build a layout suitable to run them all on!
Plus a bottle of "longer life" pills to give me enough time to finish it all!
Plus a new wife to replace the one that will divorce me for spending too much time & money on my hobby.
Well the first three seem a major obstacle too me!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes it can be a bit a bit daunting at first.
1) you don't need a larger house just build a shed in the back yard. I built a 10M x 8.5M shed, thats insulated, lined and air conditioned for comfort.
2) Divorce is good. Iam and it's all my money
to spend as I see fit

3) with no wife long life pills aren't required as you'll live longer naturally since your no longer being nagged to death.
4) get a series of girlfriends that you can cry on their shoulder when times are tough. Most girlfriends will bend over backwards to make you happy when need

So no more excuses

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Gwent rail @ 27 Jul 2006, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good God Ossie, to get all those listed, I'm going to need to win the national lottery -- again!
Plus a new larger house to build a layout suitable to run them all on!
Plus a bottle of "longer life" pills to give me enough time to finish it all!
Plus a new wife to replace the one that will divorce me for spending too much time & money on my hobby.
Well the first three seem a major obstacle too me!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorted then! Come to think of it, with no wife, finance for all those locos isn't a problem either.

Now where did I put that solicitor's number .......

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
This is proably a debate we best leave for Friday night down at the pub. I'll be in Blandie's between 7 and falling down..............

Ozzie21

QUOTE (Dennis David @ 29 Jul 2006, 00:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I prefer that they bend over forwards ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts