Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's a fictitious livery of course[on this loco] ...
,like every one that they've applied to this loco..[except GWR green,of course,-but even then-I think the prototype was plain green without the 'Great Western' lettering..]

The Hornby model body-wise is quite accurate,-compare it to the plans in the J.H.Russel book...-but it is such an obscure prototype [I'm relying on memory here,-so may not be 100% accurate]being built in 1901 as an experimental loco [oil firing
] and scrapped in 1909,and spending a lot of that time at Swindon,that is really of no practical use on a layout...although I think it was trialled briefly on the Blagdon branch..

You can't even say it's "a typical industrial shunter"*[a phrase beloved by the modelling press],because it doesn't even remotely resemble anything else..

*Ooooh,-I hate that term!
,- there's no such thing!,-Industrials need to be modelled accurately!!

So much for the Hornby model,-with regards to the London and South Western Railway,there's no shortage of stuff out there in books,and I've just Googled it and it comes up with over 5 million references,-so that should keep you busy for a while...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe I should have quantified it when I said the loco was of 'no practical use on a layout',- I was refering to a layout based on historical accuracy and realistic operation,-I was assuming [perhaps wrongly] that as Trav was asking for :
QUOTE links to information sites on the Locomotive and the LSWR company? Im trying to learn the history of the Loco and the company.
That he was trying to add some fidelity to the prototype into his modelling
...of course,-you can run what you like on your layout,-after all,-it's your layout.....

QUOTE Just because a loco has a fantasy livery does not mean it is not a top seller!
QUOTE Smokey Joe is the top selling loco of the last 25 years....

That's because they are supplied in the cheap,entry-level trainsets,aimed at the kiddies and newbies,-believe me,-they don't sell that well as individually boxed locos [where I think they're over-priced]!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.