Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've put this here hoping it's the best place. A number of us have portable layouts built for exhibition. And need an easey way of geting them noticed. Not every one wants there model in a Railway mag. and thats the only place some exhibition managers look. SO how about a new forum Catt where we can put details, photos etc of our models where exhibition managers can look for that new model.

BOB

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
A lot of society's send out layout and trader "scouts" round the shows, which is how a lot of exposure results. I think once you have had a layout exhibited it becomes easier as any replacement is generally known to be to an accepted standard.

Another method is that the organising club uses members layouts which then get seen etc.

Mind you I think your basic idea is sound.

Regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats ok if your in a society or group. but if your in an area that has few exhibitions, or like some i known. Only take layouts that have been in the Mags. then you've little chance.

bob

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Maybe if you take some pictures and send them to the organisors it may generate some invites next year.

Or publish some pics on here and who knows what will happen.

I presume that organisors want to see the layout before taking the punt and inviting it.

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
I know what you mean about this.

Luckily for me, I've been invited to my first Exhibition in Mansfield in March.

I was invited just by having photos of my layout on here and other forums.
The organisers asked if anybody wanted to exhibit so I replied.
They invited me just on seeing the photos.

I also haven't asked for expenses, I see it that if I was going to an exhibition I would have to pay to get there anyway.
I look at it as though I'm saving money as I dont have to pay to get in.

This is my opinion and I'm happy to do it, I'm just happy to be invited

Cups of tea and lunch is provided even better!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I think a short video on youtube with a title that would'nt be too far down the list would be noticable to people surfing for ideas on modeling, when i was looking for ideas youtube was most helpfull. And its easy.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I contacted the nearest group (in Inverness, some 90 miles from here) and offered my layout as a work in progress. I guess that I was lucky because a friend of mine could not exhibit that particular weekend and I too his place. We then exhibited both layouts at another show in Elgin. If you have a website (as I do) then it helps to put photos and a track-plan on your site and let show managers have the URL. It MAY help to exhibit at local shows first but there would be no harm in approaching a few of the less local clubs as well.

Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts