Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went along to Expo EM on saturday expecting to find a tin pot village show that was trying to move up in the world. i was stunned to find a very good show with all the major players there and some very good modelling going on.

Transport was ok. it was an hour from waterloo but only a cheap ticket. i think it was about £12. when i got to the station at bracknell i was a bit disorientated. i had copied the map from the EMGS website bit it really wasnt of any use. i had to ask directions and then someone pointed out that i was stood north of the railway and the map wanted me to go south. when i crossed the railway the map made much more sence!!
There was a bit of a walk to the leasure centre. it said on the web that it was about 3/4 of a mile. i think that was a bit of an understatement. i think it was at least a mile. possibly closer to a mile and a half.

on arriving at the leasure centre there were no signs at all and frankly neither i nor the other people who arrived at the same time had any idea which way to go or even if we were in the right place. we queued up with all the other "queueing people" but noticed railway looking people walking straight past so followed them and found the hall.

The hall was a nice size and the show was already in full swing.

The first thing i had to do was swap some transfers and pick up some goods. there i found another problem. there was no cash point within nuclear-fallout-range of the leasure centre! thankfully i managed to pay for my main purchases by card (thanks Comet and Phoenix!). but others were having problems.

Upstairs there was a members stall and there were a few bargains to be had (i picked up 4 Ratio LNWR coaches for £20).

All the major bits and bobs peole were there. comet, dart castings, phoenix ect...

There were several good layouts. liverpool street was looking good. i cant wait to see it when its finished. i wonder if all the high tech stuff will stay though? my experience of that kind of thing has been that people think its a great idea to start with but over time they realise that things work much better if its kept simple.

All in all a very good show. i understand people were concerned about a change in venue from last year (i believe it was at bletchley) i think the nev venue is fine. its an hour on the train from London and easy trains from Reading if you are "GWR inclined". it seemed like a really good venue.

peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 May 2008, 07:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>it said on the web that it was about 3/4 of a mile. i think that was a bit of an understatement. i think it was at least a mile. possibly closer to a mile and a half.

Knowing the area a little you are probably right ther !

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 19 May 2008, 19:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There were several good layouts. liverpool street was looking good. i cant wait to see it when its finished. i wonder if all the high tech stuff will stay though? my experience of that kind of thing has been that people think its a great idea to start with but over time they realise that things work much better if its kept simple.

peter

Hi Peter,

What was the high tech stuff they were using?

John

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE I went along to Expo EM on saturday expecting to find a tin pot village show that was trying to move up in the world. i was stunned to find a very good show with all the major players there and some very good modelling going on.

I've not been - both the normal venue of Bletchley and Bracknell are rather awkward for me - but I know of it by reputation as one of the major scale specific shows

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
QUOTE it was an hour from waterloo but only a cheap ticket. i think it was about £12. when i got to the station at bracknell... i had to ask directions and then someone pointed out that i was stood north of the railway and the map wanted me to go south.

We have sometimes used the Reading - Waterloo route when we have wanted to avoid using the Underground but for speed, the Paddington / Underground route to Waterloo is probably faster from Reading. The South West route feels like two terminal branch lines which connect end-to-end and seems about as fast too. So unless you want to avoid a lot of changing and waiting on station platforms, getting to Bracknell from London is probably quicker via Reading - especially if you can get a West Country service from Paddington.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts