Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm about to buy a bus start set thingy from a freind, and he said the box has a bus stop section unit, which is like an electro magnet/coil that you mount under the road and the bus stops over it etc etc.

Just wondered how these coils work? I assume that when the bus passes over the magnetic feild it activates some kind of reed switch that turns it off, but how does the bus carry on aftewards? Do i have to cobble up some system to turn the coil off after afew seconds?

thanks for any help,

Pete.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 4 Jul 2007, 20:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I'm about to buy a bus start set thingy from a freind, and he said the box has a bus stop section unit, which is like an electro magnet/coil that you mount under the road and the bus stops over it etc etc.

Just wondered how these coils work? I assume that when the bus passes over the magnetic feild it activates some kind of reed switch that turns it off, but how does the bus carry on aftewards? Do i have to cobble up some system to turn the coil off after afew seconds?

thanks for any help,

Pete.

The positioning of the electromagnet is critical. When energised it activates the reed switch cutting off power to the motor & shorting it out to act as a brake. You can use an ordinary switch to switch the magnet on & off or use a timer or a relay switched by a train or crossing gates - limited only by imagination. The coil can be left energised almost indefinatly - but it must be supplied with fairly smooth DC & it is polarity concious.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this coil is just a facilitator to join your own electronic creations to the car systems?

What I was thinking was an astable to turn the coil on and off in ten second sequences so on for 10, off for 10. This way, the bus might not stop at all, and when it does stop the length of time it stops for is random...

I assume you could also use it at a level crossing, with some kind of train detector so when the trains are coming the bus stops?

Sounds pretty cool....

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I assume you could also use it at a level crossing, with some kind of train detector so when the trains are coming the bus stops?
That's exactly what dbclass50 has done on St. Laurent and very effective it is too. You can just see the level crossing in this photo he has posted in the gallery. No sign of the bus though, but there's sure to be one along in a minute or so.

David

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
One of my friends made his own roads. He simply put a bare copper wire beneath the whole road path.
I took a video of his scratchbuilt system.

Check out the gas filling station.There is a turnout mounted beneath simply changing the entrance route of the truck to the gas pumps.

Baykal

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 4 Jul 2007, 21:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What I was thinking was an astable to turn the coil on and off in ten second sequences so on for 10, off for 10. This way, the bus might not stop at all, and when it does stop the length of time it stops for is random...

Exactly - if you cannot build the circuit the likes of Viessmann, Busch or Faller make them.

BTW - you can even get "points" for the system so you can have proper bus stops.

Thanks for the plug David !

If I can sort out the way to do it I'll (when the time is available) to post a video of the crossing on youtube.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dwb @ 4 Jul 2007, 22:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's exactly what dbclass50 has done on St. Laurent and very effective it is too. You can just see the level crossing in this photo he has posted in the gallery. No sign of the bus though, but there's sure to be one along in a minute or so.

David

QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 5 Jul 2007, 12:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the plug David !

I should point out that this is the level crossing accidentally ruined by a nameless scenic modeller - it has now been replaced and floodlighting added.

Regards

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts