Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the footage of the faller system on youtube and i cant help thinking that i dont want this now. i want it in 10 years time when they have inccorporated a whole host of other gadgets into those little cars. how about a DCC styly system with inertia and breaking and radio adressing.

How about sensors for colision control and position sensors for traffic lights. wouldnt it be great to see one car crash and another swerve to avoid it!

how long do you think it will take?

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 7 Feb 2007, 12:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd like a shop in the UK to sell these sets with bodies of British vehicles that can be used instead of the German models.

I'm definitely going to try this out - soon.

It might be worth pointing out that with the Faller Car System it makes economic sense to keep buying start sets as these include all you need to start playing truck/bus operations, charger, road wire, etc. etc. If used properly they really can add a new dimension to a layout.

Unfortunately I can't see Faller doing them specifically for the UK market as all the donor vehicles come from German Manufacturers. The only option is to modify stuff made by the likes of EFE and OOC using the chassis from the start sets.

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE It might be worth pointing out that with the Faller Car System it makes economic sense to keep buying start sets as these include all you need to start playing truck/bus operations, charger, road wire, etc. etc. If used properly they really can add a new dimension to a layout. Thanks for that tip John.

I will be including this in my new layout. I suppose what I really want to know is what kind of a turning circle these vehicles have? I guess you have to keep these going round in a loop. I figured you could have them go round a roundabout at either end.

Most of the vehicles in Europe are the same in each country. All you would need to do is change the rego plates. You do get plenty of European lorries driving in Britain so they wouldn't look too out of place.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Neil,

The web site is www.faller.de - if you can find it they do a trackage system I think called play street. This includes a dumbbell end with a radius of about 12". I know from experience that artics and buses will go round it, but, a truck and drawbar trailer won't. (The front of the trailer fouls the back of the truck which can result in a very expensive accident)

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 9 Feb 2007, 01:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Neil,

The web site is www.faller.de - if you can find it they do a trackage system I think called play street. This includes a dumbbell end with a radius of about 12". I know from experience that artics and buses will go round it, but, a truck and drawbar trailer won't. (The front of the trailer fouls the back of the truck which can result in a very expensive accident)

Regards

John
Thats good to know John, thanks. I'm stil in the process of building my layout and can make sure I can accomodate that size

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 7 Feb 2007, 10:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was looking at the footage of the faller system on youtube and i cant help thinking that i dont want this now. i want it in 10 years time when they have inccorporated a whole host of other gadgets into those little cars. how about a DCC styly system with inertia and breaking and radio adressing.

How about sensors for colision control and position sensors for traffic lights. wouldnt it be great to see one car crash and another swerve to avoid it!

how long do you think it will take?

Peter

It's actually available now, albeit custom made - have a look at www.minaturwunderland.de (I thinks thats the correct URL).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I saw the Faller road system incorporated pretty effectively in a layout at Train West in Chippenham a few years back (sorry, can't remember which layout).

The only thing that struck me was the careering speed the vehicle was going at. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the speed control on the Faller system variable?

On the other hand&#8230;

One day, I'd like to model a motorway flyover.

And it's a question whether to:

A) use the Faller road system, to show traffic hurtling across it at break-neck speed (looped round the back of the layout, obviously)

Or

in fact, have them static, bumper-to-bumper, and going nowhere fast.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
If you have static cars then you can always model an accident or some roadworks to give a sense of reality.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 15 Feb 2007, 14:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you have static cars then you can always model an accident or some roadworks to give a sense of reality.

Happy modelling
Gary

I may have mentioned this one before, but there is a layout on the exhibition circuit called St Lauren, which uses the car system. It also has a complete road resurfacing operation modelled on one section of roadway!

Regards

John

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Paxman @ 15 Feb 2007, 13:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw the Faller road system incorporated pretty effectively in a layout at Train West in Chippenham a few years back (sorry, can't remember which layout).

The only thing that struck me was the careering speed the vehicle was going at. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is the speed control on the Faller system variable?
On the other hand&#8230;

One day, I'd like to model a motorway flyover.

And it's a question whether to:

A) use the Faller road system, to show traffic hurtling across it at break-neck speed (looped round the back of the layout, obviously)

Or

in fact, have them static, bumper-to-bumper, and going nowhere fast.

They do go a little too fast, although when fitted with 4mm die-cast bodies that slows them up a bit. As soon as I get time I'm going to try out a few things to regulate the speed a bit.

Faller also do some set-track roadway with a useful "dumb bell" that can be used in conjuction with the guide wire - may be just the thing for the motoorway flyover.

Or just do a section of the M25

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Don't Brawa do an overhead trolley car system also which you could operate with the Faller road system?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 16 Feb 2007, 07:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't Brawa do an overhead trolley car system also which you could operate with the Faller road system?

Happy modelling
Gary
Yes they do and you've just given me a brilliant idea for my layout

How fast do the cars go on the Faller system Brian or John
Can you slow them down by using lead weight?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi guys

would this system work on a 4x4 offroad circuit?

I am tring to find a way for filling a space on my layout.

cheers

Alistair

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I am pretty certain that Brawa have recenty dropped the trolley bus - it was a bit crude anyway, especially by Brawa's current standards. Still available on eBay although the prices are climbing is the price I got recently for a cable railway set was anything to go by !

You could probably use the Faller system for an off-road course if it was'nt too rough.

I'm looking at slowing the vehicles down electrinically in the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I will be interested to hear your results, DB, if you're able to slow the cars down down a bit...

Meanwhile - M25 it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts