Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any reviews of the Farish class 60s? Or has anyone got one that they can comment on? A quick Google search didn't come up with much

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (digitaldave @ 19 Nov 2007, 09:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are there any reviews of the Farish class 60s? Or has anyone got one that they can comment on? A quick Google search didn't come up with much

Thanks,

Dave.

They were reviewed in several of the print mags when they came out over the summer. Ben Ando's main criticisms (in Model Rail) were that the light clusters were in slightly the wrong position and the cab windows maybe a bit too shallow, but it didn't stop him thinking highly of it and I personally find it hard to get worked up at the size these features are in N gauge. I think there was a thread in another forum comparing it with the TPM kit, concluding that you could get a slightly better model from the kit if you were competent and willing to build and paint it to a good standard. Unlike earlier Farish models the 60 has NEM coupler pockets - a mixed blessing as there seem to be no useable alternative couplers that fit them!

In my own view it is an excellent model, runs smoothly and much more quietly than the Farish 66. This was true straight out of the box, after running in and after fitting a Zimo MX620 decoder. However while the 66 tops out near scale maximum speed the 60 is capable of a scale 120mph or so. Haulage is also great, it takes a 2-metre train up a 1 in 40 gradient including a 180 degree turn at 14 inches radius.

I deduce from your name that you might be into DCC, so mention that it has the same 'fairly-DCC-friendly' arrangement as the 66 and 57, with pads on the PCB to solder decoder wires to - not impossible but fiddly compared with the latest socketed Dapol products. The 66 and 57 really needed some extra insulation on the motor contact strips for DCC operation, but the 60 comes already fitted with this. It is easy also to modify the lighting so tail lights work independently on a 4-function decoder.

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 20 Nov 2007, 10:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a thread in another forum comparing it with the TPM kit, concluding that you could get a slightly better model from the kit if you were competent and willing to build and paint it to a good standard.

Here's a picture comparison; TPM kit on the left and Farish RTR on the right. You can see the TPM has finer sharper edges and detail around the cab ends. The Farish has rather rounded cab corners and features (unlike the real thing and TPM version which is correctly distinctly angular), it also has oversized and over obvious rivet detail around the window frames, far coarser etched mesh grilles and an over deep light recess that incorrectly cuts in to the corner angles. Other than that the Farish is a pretty good RTR model, has good roof detail, wire cab handrails and performs very well;

G.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
QUOTE (Grahame HHC @ 22 Nov 2007, 19:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The TPM kit does have crude bogies though, and a larger gap between them and the body (and seems taller - which is the correct height?), and the door handles are not well moulded (or just not painted?) compared to the Farish model.

What are the hauling capabities of the TPM kit or does it come without a motor so it depends on what is the donor? (Does it come without bogies too?)

Both models look perfectly acceptable to me, especially from a typical N scale viewing distance their perceived faults are unperceivable? What is the ball-park cost of the kit compared to the RTR model? How challenging would you rate the kit to put together well Grahame?

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (goedel @ 22 Nov 2007, 20:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Both models look perfectly acceptable to me, especially from a typical N scale viewing distance their perceived faults are unperceivable? What is the ball-park cost of the kit compared to the RTR model? How challenging would you rate the kit to put together well Grahame?

The TPM is most accurate and has greater fidelity but in terms of simple purchase just to run the Farish would win. Snag is the very limited range of livery options. The most common livery that all of the fleet started in and most had for the majority of time (triple grey as on the TPM in the picture) is not available except as a limited edition 'Transrail' version from a particular shop. It's just a shame that Bachmann have made simple silly mistakes with the Farish model otherwise it would be quite exceptional.

G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts