Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Dragon Trainer
Currently residing at Dragon鈥檚 Edge, living on The Edge! 馃榾
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 5 Oct 2012, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice work - especially the little touches like the fire buckets.

Yes. The Fire Buckets are a very neccesary feature! I used some Springside White Metal Buckets, but cut the hangers down for my applications.

3 on the Wooden Goods Shed, 6 on the Station Building (Two sets of 3), 3 on the Signal Box, and there are two on the Lamp Hut (Wills Kit, the Fire Buckets are supplied!).

Why is&#39;nt it easy &#33;&#33;
Your weathering is excellent Sarah......

Registered
Sarah - re the fire buckets on the lamp hut. Never ever seen this in real life photos. Bearing in mind signal lamps are filled with a flammable liquid and one shouldn't use water on fires involving flammable liquids.......
Regards,
John Webb
(Former 'legal arsonist' for 28 years at the Fire Research Station.)

Dragon Trainer
QUOTE (Anthony566 @ 11 Oct 2012, 20:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your weathering is excellent Sarah......

Thanks, your comment is appreciated.

Note: No Airbrush used on this layout!

QUOTE (John Webb @ 11 Oct 2012, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sarah - re the fire buckets on the lamp hut. Never ever seen this in real life photos. Bearing in mind signal lamps are filled with a flammable liquid and one shouldn't use water on fires involving flammable liquids.......
Regards,
John Webb

Ah, yes. But those Fire Buckets contain Sand, not Water!
Note the little roof over the Buckets to keep most of the Rain Water out. (Most Fire Buckets on the Railway contain Sand. Water can leak or evaporate, Sand tends to remain viable.)

QUOTE (Swift-Deere @ 11 Oct 2012, 22:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice love the dog on the platform, Is that a mainline covered van with the sliding doors I spot in the first picture

Yes, that is a Mainline Van. One of two in the stock box. The Dog, which does tend to wander around, is a cast white metal one, from Langley Miniature Models. I like dogs!

A more recent photo shewing the same van...

The Other Mainline Van. This is a re-painted "Private Owner" Van.

________________________________________________________________________________

This is a Ratio Kit, with very little modification. Painted in GWR Colours.

No Longer Active.
QUOTE (John Webb @ 11 Oct 2012, 21:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>John Webb

Friend of mine still performs those duties at CTE Manston.

QUOTE (sarah @ 12 Oct 2012, 10:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah, yes. But those Fire Buckets contain Sand, not Water!
Note the little roof over the Buckets to keep most of the Rain Water out. (Most Fire Buckets on the Railway contain Sand. Water can leak or evaporate, Sand tends to remain viable.)

& of course sand buckets are useful for cigarette butts...........

Dragon Trainer
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I am at present re-modelling the main goods siding at Ffrwd.

I had become aware of a serious limitation of having the Cattle Dock at the end of the siding with the Coal Merchant's facilities between the dock and the "main line".

The end of the siding would be out of use if there was a wagon being unloaded at the Coal Merchants.

(Though it seems that there was at least one place with a similar arrangement in "real life"!)

The original idea of installing a new point on the loop to serve a slewed connection to the Cattle Dock seemed a good idea, and I did cut the siding and loop tracks to install the point.

In the end it became only too clear that this wouldn't work.

I did install a PECO trap point at the Wrexham end of the loop though. The rest of the loop track was re-laid using some left over track and some pre-wired fishplates to provide some extra feeds.

The siding has been re-arranged to have the Coal Merchant at the far end of the siding, and a small Cattle Dock where the Coal Merchant was.

This has involved the demolition of the End Loading and Cattle Dock, and the Coal Merchants coal bins and office.

The siding has been legthened slightly with the removal of the End Loading Ramp, using some more left over track and some pre-wired fishplates to reinstate the feed.

A new Coal Order Office has been made from an old Airfix Coal Office. This has new windows, door, roof, and chimney. Mainly spare parts from the Wills Goods Yard Store Kit, with Wills Slate sheet for the roof. Signs have been made on the computer.

The Coal Bins have been re-built from the original parts. A new "bagging platform" has been constructed from the staging from the Wills Goods Yard Store Kit, with Wills Planking sheet from the Level Crossing kit for the platform, Evergreen Styrene strips for the roof supports and other planking walls, and Wills corrugated sheeting sheet for the roof. Bagged Coal is Merit/ PECO Modelscene Coal Bags. Spilled coal is shot blasting compound. Scales are scatch built, and various figures are in use (Langley and Merit/ PECO Modelscene /Slater's.)

The Coal Order Office...

Interior. (This is stuck to the baseboard, and the building slots over the top.)

Together with the newly re-constructed Coal Bunkers.

With the Mk2 Signage.

The bagging platform...

In situ...

With more added...(The "wrong way" around to shew the track side.)

Registered
I'm going to have to echo everyone else and commend you on your modeling skills, Sarah!

Looking at that first picture of your station with the taxi parked in front of it, it almost looks like you took a picture of an actual station and photoshopped it to look like a model sitting outside, with a scale-model taxi parked out front!!!

I can only hope that my railway will look a FRACTION as good as yours when it's "finished" (a model railway is never really finished, is it?)!!!

I look forward to seeing more of your progress and modifications on the layout!

Longfunnelled&amp;tiresome
Happy New Year to you Sarah. From an avid follower of your thread.
Having lived a year in Ironbridge and commuted by train along the Severn Valley line to Shrewsbury, I remain nostalgic for the slightly eccentric nature of the WR in the Marches and admire the way you have captured the essence of the fascinating interaction with Telford's pre-rail engineering in the area.

LF&T

Dragon Trainer
Thanks again for the comments.

Some more photos.

A Diesel on Ffrwd. My favourite type, in the original Plain Black, with th ebest BR emblem. (My opinions.
)

The cab steps are still to be fitted. As a "brand new" loco in the 1950s, the weathering will be light...

A "British Waterways" ex Fellows Morton motor boat still in the old livery on the Aqueduct. (Craftline Models balsa wood kit detailed, etc.)

The underside of the Aqueduct...

The "other" abutment of the Aqueduct...

The "Low Bridge" warning signs on the Aqueduct...

The Standard 4 Tank with crew and weathering, etc. (Some steps need re-attaching.)

The 93XX GWR Mogul with crew and weathering, etc...

There is more "constructional" information on the "Workbench" thread, see below for a link.

Dragon Trainer
I have "discovered" that there is another 1950s Wrexham Area Railway with the Shropshire Union Canal (That wasn't built) represented.

This is "Black Lion Crossing", in Model Railway Journal 214. (April 2012 I think.)

This is a might-have-been Wrexham Mold & Connah's Quay (LNER) route. A work in progress.

This goes along with "Wrexham Hightown" the O gauge model of a Loco-shed by Chester MRC .

http://www.chestermodelrailwayclub.com/o_gauge_section.htm

I will have to compile a map shewing all three sections in relation to Wrexham.....

Here is a link to an OS map (Streetmap.co.uk) of the Ffrwd area.

The arrow shows the supposed location of Ffrwd Locks Station.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?X=3301...;Z=115&lm=1

Dragon Trainer
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
QUOTE (A1A A1A @ 4 Jan 2013, 00:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sarah.

All thi best tae yae in 2013. A fair grand bit owe modelling.

rab.

Hi Rab.

Your Dunblane looks good. A little modern, but good.

Have a good year, or is that a tyre. Hmm, maybe it's time to re-tire......

C55
Hi Sarah,
After your helpful exchange about Signal Box interior parts, on your Workbench Post, I looked for the Highley Station to see if there might be some reason why 2 manufacturers might want produce the Box.

I found the Signal box and looked back at this thread, which I learn from every time, thank you. However, while looking at the Highley Station, something rang a bell from earlier in this thread at #46 ...

QUOTE QUOTE (John Webb @ 11 Oct 2012, 21:40)

Sarah - re the fire buckets on the lamp hut. Never ever seen this in real life photos. Bearing in mind signal lamps are filled with a flammable liquid and one shouldn't use water on fires involving flammable liquids.......
Regards,

http://www.highleystation.co.uk/

The Highley web page rather vindicate your use of Fire Buckets ... I stopped counting at 10 .....

J

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.