Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just thought I would start a topic on liveries that weren't ever employed but what might look quite good on a loco!! NOT for the rivet counter this one

Here's my attempt at a class 55 in EWS livery that I did many years ago on a Lima model. Tell me what you think and let me see some of your pictures if you have done any or even if you have thought of one you would like to see in model form.

Hope you like my effort.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Have you seen this website - some really neat work on "liveries that never were". Some really should have happenned!!

http://fictitiousliveries.fotopic.net/

Re the 55... Nope, that is, Not a nope to your effort as I think it is well done and the 55 suits the colours but its a more stylish loco and I can't help thinking it needs a little more flair than the standard "shed" approach... a curve or two in the stripe perhaps.

Richard

ps: As I've often said, real modellers do not count rivets, we just notice when they are missing. All of the more painful to listen to "rivet counters" should be assigned to caring for lepers, where they can count fingers... 10, 9, oops.....

Anyway, as long as you follow a consistent theme with the fictitious livery thing, I think it has real modelling value - ie: its no less valid than a fictitious location, a station on a line that never was or a compression of the real thing to suit the bedroom sized layout - all totally within the "modellers license" remit as long as its thought through and done with care! John @ RJR's approach is a good example on MRF right now in fact.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi Paul

The Deltic is beautifully painted and that livery seems to sit well on it.
However being as EWS was a freight opperator and the Deltics were express passenger locos would some of the liveries EWS applied to some 67s not be more suitable. Silver for the company train, now that would be over indulgence or Royal train clarret.
Just a thought, and as you probably know I do approve of things that are not quite "right"

Regards Andii

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 4 Mar 2009, 12:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However being as EWS was a freight opperator and the Deltics were express passenger locos would some of the liveries EWS applied to some 67s not be more suitable.

Regards Andii

Thanks for kind comments Andii but just to put you straight on one thing (see Quote above) I did this loco when the 67 locomotive wasn't even on the drawing board!!!
And isn't the idea of fictitious liveries just that ! It surely doesn't matter wether a loco is a passenger loco or freight loco does it!!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 4 Mar 2009, 11:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Have you seen this website - some really neat work on "liveries that never were". Some really should have happenned!!

http://fictitiousliveries.fotopic.net/

Yes I have Richard but those are of course real life loco's and my topic is of model ones. I might add (refering to another reply on my topic) also there is another Deltic on there that has been made into a freight engine in the guise of DRS!!!

Many thnaks for your comment Richard.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
I find it hard to imagine a steam locomotive such as a Britannia, Castle or Duchess painted in some of the modern liveries currently applied to emu's or dmu's. Yuk

·
Registered
495 Posts
I am freelancing a whole railway ,well a Col Stevens type branch .I will invent my own discreet paint scheme and run what equipment I like ,though it will keep in style with what would be appropriate,no A3 's pulling a 4 wheel coach etc.I will also run a full Southern and 20's-30's S+D set of stock as well plus anything else I fancy .I painted some US brass steam locos a long while back for my own ficticious shortline railroad ,a practice thats common in the US or at least was .I was careful to weather and mark them with all the small weight and water details ,reporting marks etc and most people thought it was a real shortline .I sold them for top price so no loss of value .Its a lot of fun and for me ,thats what its all about .

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (madon37s @ 4 Mar 2009, 13:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>also there is another Deltic on there that has been made into a freight engine in the guise of DRS!!!

Haven't DRS just bought a Deltic out of preservation?

I have actually been thinking of doing one of my 33's in a totally fictitious livery, but am still working out the colours.

Regards

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Here's another thought for a fictitious livery: how about a purple Deltic with grey skirts??? Oh, wait. It's been done already!!!!

Seriously, I have a fictitious bus and coach fleet which allows me to (1) use my imagination and (2) to have models of vehicle types I would not be able to justify if I stuck to the real ones that ran in the general area of my model railway.

More power to you for being brave enough to try this. I quite like that EWS Deltic, it looks sort of "right".

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (SRman @ 5 Mar 2009, 08:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>More power to you for being brave enough to try this. I quite like that EWS Deltic, it looks sort of "right".

Well thank you very much at least there is one person that seems to "understand" the word fictitious. As it doesn't matter what the loco hauls in real life as this is a model!!!.

Many thanks again my friend.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've had a bash at a rather plain and uniteresting livery that could have existed (if RTC had been around for another 25 years or so!)

Needs some transfers, but it is based on the liveries applied to the 31s that RTC had, which in turn where based on the Intercity livery of the time.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very nice livery Hairyhandedfool and thats just the sort of thing I mean. Just have a go and see what happens!

Nice pictures, Post some more when the transfers are on please.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Well, I've actually found a spare 33 body (knew I had one somewhere). Now all I have to do is paint it.

Regards

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep us updated mate, Look forward to that!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Fictitious liveries have abounded for years.....along with freelance modeling....[as distinct from, prototypes that 'might-have-been']..

The Rev E.Beal and his WMR, from just after WW2, which was a popular subject in the modelling press at the time, is a classic example.

P.D.Hancock is also famous for feelancing...both narrow and standard gauges....with his 'Craig' models.

Both primarily steam in origin.......and whilst steam locos might look somewhat 'orrible in modern corporate liveries, here would be little wrong in dreaming up a pre-group livery, where complexity ruled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts