Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I just finished 4 night ferry's and thought I would share the pic with you.

They are the kit that featured in model rail although I requested them in 12 thou brass rather than the thicker material they were previously etched in. (I think this will now become the standard material for this kit) this made the roof far easier to adjust after it had all the rivits punched. They are also alot lighter than they were and it should be alot easier for a hornby loco to haul a propper rake.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Al)They look good. How about a couple of close-up pics...?
Hello al
Yes sure, i will take some in the new year and post them on here. unfortunatly i have just posted these but i have more on the go so when they are finished i will take alot more pictures. i was really pleased with these and i would have loved a couple of nice studio shots, but hay, thats life!

QUOTE (dbclass50)They certainly do look good Peter - are these the 4mm ones ?

Yep. its the kit that was featured in model rail a couple of years ago. its actually a very simple kit and in the thinner material it really made a difference. there are some long folds to do but if you ask very nicely when you buy the kit you might get them done for you in a propper folding tool rather than having to do them at home with a pair of pliers!

There are really 4 main parts to the kit.
underframe (complete with slot and tab interior), sides, ends and roof. the underframe is a piece of cake, it just takes time. the the sides are very easy if the flange has been folded for you! there are the vents to put along the top of the wondows but thats just a case of being very carefull when cleaning up after soldering to ensure there is nothing left that will interfere with the paint. the ends are a doddle (if you follow the model rail article pictures as you are supposed to). next comes the roof. when i did the 18thou brass one I thought this was a real bugger to do. but in 12 its soo much nicer. its like making a different kit.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
They look superb (having seen your work in th flesh I would expect nothing less) I agree - close ups please.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,901 Posts
They certainly look nice. I too look forward to seeing some closeups

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Oz. yes the livery is CIWL. they build them and opeated them in conjunction with the southern for the Night Ferry service between london and paris. they look very similar to the VSOE cars except that the roofs are alot shallower.

The paint was mixed from the origional recepie provided by Wagon lits. Its a very deep blue but it actually has a very subtle hint of maroon thats quite difficult to explain and you can only see it under certain llighting.

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 25 Dec 2007, 05:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No not yet. These were actually commissions. (I actually have about 30 of these on the order book to build, I am up to 8 now with 6 more waiting to be done).
But I do have plans for a rake all of my own. with a southern spam can on the front.

Peter
How much are you charging for those Peter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts