·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Its nice to see theyve finally done it.
Im sure that this isnt the first time mainline stock has strayed on to Swanage railway metal since closure. If memory serves (I cant find my reference book at the mo) A virgin voyager visited a few years ago to celebrate the joining of the Swanange track to the mainline.
Steve

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE Mmmmm.... it made the "Daily Telegraph" too.

This "event" has been trailed for at least a week on the BBC website. I think there's a closest rail enthusiast on the BBC website editing team. All that Tornado coverage and now this

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Today the Swanage - tomorrow the Bluebell....

I shall be looking at the progress at East Grinstead this weekend.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE I shall be looking at the progress at East Grinstead this weekend.

I've been following that on the Bluebell website. They've done an awful lot over the last couple of years, but there's still a lot to do. I am sure they'll get there though.

David

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i think they still have several hundred tons of rubish to remove first!

Good luck to the swanage though.
i once had this crazy idea about running a train from bridgenorth non stop to the birmingham railway museum. entirly do-able.

Good publicity for both railways and perhaps they could stop in snow hill and pick up some visitors.

Peter

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE but a shame it wasn't steam

It is now - see this report on the BBC website.

I wonder if this will become a trend for some preserved railways? The Watercress Line shares a station with Network Rail at Alton and The Bluebell will be open to East Grinstead in a year or three. My feeling is probably not; the seaside at Swanage is a stronger "general" draw than Alresford or Sheffield Park.

There was a report of the ELR running commuter trains into Manchester last week.

What about other lines? Anybody got any ideas?

David

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I'm pretty sure the SVR have done it in the past.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (OldSutt @ 2 May 2009, 16:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With regard to preserved lines being connected to the existing Railway Network, I would commend the North Norfolk Railways'

Certainly looks attainable, and a pleasing prospect.

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts