Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 2 basic 2 function chips )bachman i wnt to fit them to my early class 08 Bachmann, and my hornby class 56 any pointers? neither have slots so i will have to solder them any thing i should watch for?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 18 Mar 2007, 17:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We have a Hornby Class 08 here

and an article specifically about hard-wiring decoders here

If you go through the rest of the reviews, you should soon pick up the basic pricipals of installing a decoder as well as avoiding problems that are sometimes encountered. Check out the rest of the reviews here

thanks for that Doug i used the bromsgrove guide for my two the o8 was so easy but the 56 was not hard but more involved, i choose the 08 and the hornby 56 as they were my best running locos, from now i'll just buy dcc ready as the rest of my stock is old lima 47's two of and two hornby 47's and old class 29 a lima 20 which i wont bother with as it just tears off at the mearest sniff of throttle! tho maybe a decoder with lots of steps could cure this?, and ive a early bachmann 04, oh and a load of kettle's
But my favorite has to be my new sound equiped 20 shame its green really!.

·
Registered
208 Posts
QUOTE (Tonyperks @ 18 Mar 2007, 22:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>thanks for that Doug i used the bromsgrove guide for my two the o8 was so easy but the 56 was not hard but more involved, i choose the 08 and the hornby 56 as they were my best running locos, from now i'll just buy dcc ready as the rest of my stock is old lima 47's two of and two hornby 47's and old class 29 a lima 20 which i wont bother with as it just tears off at the mearest sniff of throttle! tho maybe a decoder with lots of steps could cure this?, and ive a early bachmann 04, oh and a load of kettle's
But my favorite has to be my new sound equiped 20 shame its green really!.

I've found that the old lima motors can be tamed with a decoder, mine used to shoot of at the touch of the controller but on DCC they do not start to move until the decoder is on 5-10 and then will crawl at a scale walking pace, so don't discount them. I used the cheap Macoder so would think the basic bachmann would do a simalar job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi
how would I go about fitting a chip to a Bachman 03. can it be done? and what type of chip. I'm new to this and find fitting a chip to a Bullied a big deal.
Thanks

bob

·
Registered
531 Posts
At the Edington MRE at the weekend there was a Class 8 diesel (I think - I am a steam man!)
with sound. Very impressive - even to a steam aficianado .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me out as i have just bought a lima class 20 and i am wanting to hard wire a digital decoder to it can anyone help me as im new to hard wiring decoders to locos.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
bit of an old thead max, but try here................

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/dcc/Lima.htm

quite a few lima's have the same motor layout/chassis, with older models its best to use a decent decoder like Tcs what has back emf this gives you better motor control on the ringfield style motors and the ablity to tweek voltages and other cv's to get the best out of the model

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back again, i have just took the body off of my lima class 20 that i want to hard wire a digital chip to but the motor is completely different to the lima motors i have seen before, can someone help?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts