Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, I have a few old Lima locos that I am trying to fit directional lights to. All of the locos are fited with the standard hornby 8 pin DCC chips, and I am controlling then from a Hornby Select controller.

From information I have gathered so far: - 1) BLUE is the Common Positive which all fuctions must be connected to, 2) White (function 1) is the front headlight, 3) Yellow (function 2) is the rear headlight. I think I have now worked out how to activate the different functions on the Select controller.

I am wanting to have both red and white lights at each end of the loco so when the loco is running forward the white lights are showing at the front and the red lights are showing at the back and vice versa. To acheive this i was thinking that i must connect both a red and a white light to function 1 and the same for function 2.

Can someone please advise me if the above is correct, or if something needs to be changed.

Also, if a go to Maplins in tomorrow morning, what exactly do I need to buy for each loco? (lights / LED's / resistors etc.)

If anyone can help, or provide further information that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
QUOTE (John 370 001 @ 23 Nov 2008, 09:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Help, I have a few old Lima locos that I am trying to fit directional lights to. All of the locos are fited with the standard hornby 8 pin DCC chips, and I am controlling then from a Hornby Select controller.

From information I have gathered so far: - 1) BLUE is the Common Positive which all fuctions must be connected to, 2) White (function 1) is the front headlight, 3) Yellow (function 2) is the rear headlight. I think I have now worked out how to activate the different functions on the Select controller.

I am wanting to have both red and white lights at each end of the loco so when the loco is running forward the white lights are showing at the front and the red lights are showing at the back and vice versa. To acheive this i was thinking that i must connect both a red and a white light to function 1 and the same for function 2.

Can someone please advise me if the above is correct, or if something needs to be changed.

Also, if a go to Maplins in tomorrow morning, what exactly do I need to buy for each loco? (lights / LED's / resistors etc.)

If anyone can help, or provide further information that would be appreciated.

Hi John,

Check out this page on Steve Jones' website Electric nose

This will explain how to tackle the wiring. -The site is a little dated and there are smaller LEDs available but the fundamentals are the same.

Dave

ps - anyone know what has happened to Steve ? I used to enjoy his articles and comments.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that information. It has explained a lot.

One last question. Does it matter how many LED's and resistors you fit to the common positive. I will be fitting 4 to 6. Two for function 1 and two for function 2, with the fifth and sixth being on my Lima class 37 in Police livery, connecting blue LED's to functions 3 and 4?

Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi John 370 001,

Welcome to the forum

If you are using a four function decoder here is the TCSM4 showing wiring for the LED's
its is a PDF so might take a moment to load.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/pdf/M4.pdf

For a two function TCS M1

http://www.tcsdcc.com/pdf/M1%20BEMF.pdf

Click on the + icon to enlarge the image.

If you plan on using LED's one resistor must be in series with each LED on the function wire not the common positive , 3mm LED'S are a good size to go for for use in OO, but do get LED's and not GOW or similar as they give off heat potentially distorting the body and draw more power.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
QUOTE (John 370 001 @ 23 Nov 2008, 08:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that information. It has explained a lot.

One last question. Does it matter how many LED's and resistors you fit to the common positive. I will be fitting 4 to 6. Two for function 1 and two for function 2, with the fifth and sixth being on my Lima class 37 in Police livery, connecting blue LED's to functions 3 and 4?

Thanks very much.

Hi John

LEDs draw very little power , generally decoders have 100mA available for each function wire.

LEDs draw less than 20mA , White LEDs require a little more voltage that Red LEDs and if you power the Head lights one end with the Tail lights of the other on one function use a 1k resistor for the White and 2k (or more) for the red

Hope this helps a bit

Regards Zmil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts