Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am about to order 'The Talisman' Headboard in OO from Fox transfers.
My question is how do they fit on to the staff on the locos, is there a sort of whole for them to go through, or does it require sticking.
I dont really want to stick them as i want to be able to use the headboard on other stock.

Anyone can help?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Here's a suggestion off the top of my head. I've never tried it, so bin it if you think it's daft.

Make a backing plate for the headboard from a piece of brass - if you've made any kits you will have plenty of suitable bits. Solder the thinest piece of stiff wire to the back of it at right angles - less than 0.5mm diameter. Basically we're talking about the handrail wire you get in kits. You should now have something that looks like a lollipop. Drill a 0.5mm hole just behind the top lamp iron bracket of your chosen locomotive. You mount the headboard by dropping the pin of the headboard into the hole. I'm not quite sure how to keep the lamp iron bracket though. If you can create space between the wire supported and the backplate, you'll be ok. If not, it might have to be sacrificed.

If you're serious about your named LNER trains, I recommend you get copies of the Yeadon Books. I just got a couple as the Ian Allen store was discounting them quite heavily. You may be able to borrow them from your local library if they have an order / reservation service. The reason I recommend having a look is that the position and use of headboards on LNER trains varied a lot. For a long time the NE region did not use them at all. This meant that trains arrived from the south into Leeds central bearing a name board but the engine which was taking over for the journey north did not.

David

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You could also try gluing a short length of "U" section plastic (eg Plastruct or Evergreen products) to the back of the headboard to form a small open pocket to thread over lamp irons. I have used this technique to make removable headcode discs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts